• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

undergrad classes outside the requirments for my BS in finance thanx

My BS in Finance doesn't allow me to take any more math classes than up to calc 2... so i would have to complete necessary math courses outside of my BS. any suggestions to where i could take such classes, i was planning on taking some @ city tech in brooklyn. If anyone has any comments or recommendations I would apprciate it very much. thanx

Any 4 year CUNY school is a good choice. They all should offer core undergrad math courses. Personally, I would prefer something close to home.

When I was doing my undergrad, the tuition is per FT/PT basis i.e you pay the same amount of money for 18 credits as you would 12 credits. I took advantage of it and max out at 18-21 credits per semester (around 5-6 courses/semester). They then change the policy to charge the tuition per credit and most people scale back to 12 credits only.

So if you have the luxury of paying per FT/PT basis, then you should take as much math as possible even through they may not be counted toward your degree. As for taking courses at other schools, it may make more sense to take at your school if they offer it.

Other than that, any senior CUNY college has lot of courses you can choose from.

First thanx so much for your help. I kno I would take math courses at St. John's but all are given at the Queens campus and I attend the SI campus. Also I'm on scholarship so I am only permited to take up to 6 classes , 18 credits, anything after has to be paid for in full which is about 2,500 for a 3 credit class. That's why I was just going to take sum classes at city tech in brooklyn, it is closer than queens and cheaper than St. Johns credit wise. I've read their course descriptions and they seem pretty good.

Also if anyone has any other recommendations or comments or any info that I should know about FE I would greatly appreciate it. Cuz like I said I am doing this all on my own I haven't been able to talk to anyone about this, this site has been a great find and I'm excitied to hear more about this.

Once again thanx for everyone's time and help.

the one thing I would really recommend to someone who has not completed his undergrad would be to try and look for internships.... It would provide you a real life experience about the different roles people are involved in (and the different roles that exist). It would give you atleast some idea about life after MFE and typical career paths!

I would talk to your advisors at St. Johns as there should be enough room for electives available in the 130 credit program BS of Finance program to take additional math classes unless you have already used up your electives.

If you can't work it into your St. John's schedule I would not recommend taking the classes at NYC Technical college. This CUNY college was a two year until a few years ago and I believe the level of difficulty in the math classes will not be enough to prepare you for an FE degree, so stay with the math classes at the major CUNY four year schools.

Back