• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergrad Course Planning for MFE suggestion

Hi:tiphat:

I am currently a rising junior at the U of Rochester studying Financial Economics. I need some suggestions in what classes I should take extra in order to help me application wise and future in MFE wise.

First off I don't have much background in math, computer, or stats (only calculus and intro to stats/prob course but I am going to take econometrics and intro to financial math)

I need help choosing three economics electives FOr my major which should they be? ( I just chose the courses that have the word finance in the name of the course...@(http://listener.uis.rochester.edu/cgi-bin/Registrar/zippy/ECO*)

Econometrics of Financial Markets
Applied Econometrics
State and Local Public Finance
Public Finance
International Finance

I also need help choosing courses in the Simon Business school undergrad courses that I should take that might help.

Management Information Systems
Data Management
Operations Management

Also which math classes help? I selected some @ (http://listener.uis.rochester.edu/cgi-bin/Registrar/zippy/MTH*)

Ordinary Differential Equations
Multidimensional Calculus
Linear Alegbra with Differential Equations
Introduction to Probability
Intro. to Stochastic Processes

As for compsci i was thinking just intro to computer programming. Should i take other courses such as artificial intelligence etc. full list @ (http://listener.uis.rochester.edu/cgi-bin/Registrar/zippy/CSC*)

I know taking all won't hurt but I am in contraint b/c I dont have much space for these extra classes. I dont have much room b/c I still need to fit my courses for my financial econ class and i was fooling around b/c i wanted to do premed...

So basically if you could help me choose only 2 most useful courses from each category.

PS for my major it requires calc, intro to micro/macro econ, intermediate mac, inter micro, econ stats, econometric, financial mangement, intro to accoutning, cost accoutning, investment, financial math and 3 econ ecltives.

I'm assuming i shoudl do best in all but try to do best in cost accounting and ecnometric? since it relates most for mfe?

All of these course are extra not required... :sos::wall

THANK ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol sorry about the color... got a little bored. I would appreciate your help. =)

Take all the math and computer science you can. Any courses with Economics in its name won't help with your future MFE. You need more math and programming courses.
PS for my major it requires calc, intro to micro/macro econ, intermediate mac, inter micro, econ stats, econometric, financial mangement, intro to accoutning, cost accoutning, investment, financial math and 3 econ ecltives.
Forget about that major. Do something else if you want to have a shot at any good MFE program.

Take all the math and computer science you can. Any courses with Economics in its name won't help with your future MFE. You need more math and programming courses.

Forget about that major. Do something else if you want to have a shot at any good MFE program.
why you saying that ? if he has the required math background, he won't have any chance? does it really matter what your major is ?

As for compsci i was thinking just intro to computer programming. Should i take other courses such as artificial intelligence etc.

Man, I don't know how "l33t" you are but it's so weird that you plan to take just "intro to computer programming" then "artificial intelligence". There are usually a sequence of 2-3 programming classes (Intro 1 2 3, or Data Structures) and then Algorithms... It basically takes 2 years for someone who had no previous programming experience to be able to program... well, right? I don't think it's right to take just 1 or 2 programming classes then state in your resume that you know programming or C++ or anything else. Same with math.

why you saying that ? if he has the required math background, he won't have any chance? does it really matter what your major is ?
If he does have the required math, programming background, it doesn't matter what he chooses to major in.
The point is he does not have it. And he plans to take a boatload of economics, accounting course to complete his major. Why would you take those courses when eventually you would want to do MFE? You can't have your cake and eat it too.
This is serious business and I would only give advice that I myself would follow. If one is serious about preparation for MFE applications, one would have to plan the courses carefully, not to waste a single course. This does not sound like what the poster is doing.

It's interesting to see that a lot of undergraduate stochastic processes courses don't cover Brownian Motion. At my school, BM is the final topic covered in "Stochastic Processes" (we also cover martingales in "Probability Models").

To those of you who are in MFE or have graduated from MFE and who have covered BM in undergrad, do you think it gave you a significant advantage over those who didn't?

Dear Andy,
What about those individuals who have taken Economics in undergrad and graduate level courses (MSc Economics) with not much background in statistics and mathematics and now they are planning to study MFE or Master in Financial Mathematics. What should they do which enable them to get into good MFE / quantitative finance program?
Your view will help many of us in re-shaping our future.
Thanks,

I don't mean to butt in, but if your ultimate plan is MFE I would simply major in E.S. You could fill your electives with linear, probability, analysis, stochastics, programming, micro, micro theory, finance and financial accounting [some of these (programming/math) will even work towards your E.S. Requirements]. The B.A.E.S. looks like perfect prep and a double major may be a bit ambitious. With only one major you may be able to even include derivatives & econometrics. This prep would put you in line for the top tier programs.

Back