• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergrad Curriculum - Need Advice

So, I'm current pursing a double major, BS in Economics and Computer Engineering, with a math minor (all of the courses listed as requirements in the FAQ for Baruch included).

From what I've read so far on this board, Economics as a major sounds like it is advised against. However, I plan on concentrating heavily on the more quantitative and finance orientated economics courses. In this board's opinion will this be worth my time or should I just drop it and concentrate on Computer Engineering and Math? I'm right at the point in my program where I can jump, fairly quickly, into another major if I need to.

The one caveat is that I'm not totally sold on the idea of going right into a MFE program after graduation. If I could find a job right out of undergrad as some sort of entry-level trader, I would be content to work for a while.

Does this prepare me well for both options or should I reconsider?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

it might work out. However, you should be prepared to be very good at what you are studying.

The one caveat is that I'm not totally sold on the idea of going right into a MFE program after graduation. If I could find a job right out of undergrad as some sort of entry-level trader, I would be content to work for a while.
Heck, I would like to get an entry-level trader job right out of highschool without spending better half of my life going to colleges.
What is your chance of getting a trader job with a bachelor? If it's more than 50%, I'd say go for it. For all we know, you could be another Bill Gates who doesn't need college degree.
Realistic speaking, your chance is slim and I say you can get a job, but not a trader job out of college.

Sounds like I should concentrate on the MFE direction then. I've seen you mention that the best preparation is a lot of math and programming classes. But would you consider a double major in Computer Engineering and Economics with a math minor a good undergrad background to get into an MFE program?

It makes a lot more sense for me to focus a little more and graduate quicker anyway. Thank you for your input. It's a tough decision to drop a direction that you've been committed to for a while -- even if you committed to it before you really knew what you wanted to do.

It makes a lot more sense for me to focus a little more and graduate quicker anyway. Thank you for your input. It's a tough decision to drop a direction that you've been committed to for a while -- even if you committed to it before you really knew what you wanted to do.

If you like econ, why not just stick with it?

Do what you're interested in, and if it coincides with the requirements for MFE, then great. If not, then at least you'll have a degree under your belt with which you can find a career you'll enjoy. You'll probably be more successful doing something you enjoy.

If you like econ, why not just stick with it?

Do what you're interested in, and if it coincides with the requirements for MFE, then great. If not, then at least you'll have a degree under your belt with which you can find a career you'll enjoy. You'll probably be more successful doing something you enjoy.

I'm more interested in finance and capital markets than strict economics. I know that it is all related but I got into economics because I wanted to pursue a career in finance, not the other way around.

Back