• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergrad Math Courses

raj arya

Prospective Quant
Hi,

I am a mba grad from fordham, looking to gain the math background necessary for MFE programs. I was wondering whether it matters where I take these undergrad classes. Whether it is the local community college or a higher level private school. Also I noticed that certain programs (university of chicago, uc berkely) have online review courses, which go through all the necessary material. http://finmath.uchicago.edu/new/msfm/prospective/plan_preparation.php

I would prefer the online review courses, yet if I take the individual classes I might be able to use a recommendation from a math professor later on?

Am I making something out of nothing, or does it matter how I attain my math background?

Thanks,
Raj

I don't think it matters where you take undergrad math courses. Cal I is pretty much the same everywhere, specially when lot of schools use the same textbooks. Just get good grades and make the most out of it is most important.
Also, make sure you look at the syllabi and see if the courses are relevant to the MFE programs you apply to.

I don't have any comments on the online courses you mentioned. If you can afford and it fits your schedule, go for it.
A bit of a warning that if you take online couses and then apply to different programs, then you may run into a bit of trouble with evaluation, transcript and that stuff.

Thanks Andy. I think i'm going to go with the traditonal math classes.

Back