• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergrad Quant. Finance Deal

I'm at Univ. of Colorado and they have a Quantitative Finance Undergrad certificate program. Obviously you have your major, and then you combine your math/bus major with these other requirements. Here is the link:

University of Colorado at Boulder - Actuarial Studies & Quantitative Finance Program

Those are just the minimum requirements.

Is that a nice foundation to have down for an MFE or a MFin?

If I in there had straight A's or close to in all of these subjects plus additional math and finance classes, would a MFE or MFin be more likely to take me on than a rich kid at Harvard or Yale?

This program seems to be pretty legit for only a bachelors and I haven't seen anything like it in the country at any other reasonable schools.

What do you guys think.

P.S.
Thank you all so much for taking the time.

If I in there had straight A's or close to in all of these subjects plus additional math and finance classes, would a MFE or MFin be more likely to take me on than a rich kid at Harvard or Yale?

I found MFE to be more of a meritocracy so it really doesn't matter where you did your undergrad and/or if you're rich or not. Actually, I can see not being rich as an advantage.

the exalted one,

Depending on where you want to go, you very probably should take the following:

1) A course in advanced linear algebra (beyond row reduction, eigenvectors/eigenvalues, etc). Something that focuses on stochastic matrices, principle component analysis, etc would be great.

2) A course in Advanced Calculus or Partial Differential Equations (or both). For this you will need some experience or practice with proofs. You may consider taking a Discrete Math class to work on this. In order to take PDEs you must have taken Ordinary Differential Equations. ODEs is in itself a great class to take.

3) A numerical analysis/methods class focusing on using computer programs like MATLAB to solve mathematical problems. You'll also need to take a programming class (Intro to object-oriented programming in C++ or something equivalent would be ideal).

In sum, while that program would be great for someone going into a quantitative finance program focusing on the business side, if you want to get into the real meat and potatoes of financial mathematics, the outlined math in that degree will be insufficient. Basically, what you want is something like a Math degree with a Finance minor. What you're showing me is a degree in Finance with a Math minor.

Best of luck in pursuing your program.

I am of course in favour of picking those types of mathematics useful in quant work, but...
First up, you may not end up wanting to be a quant, it's years away, people change, so does the market.

Also, if you are clear this is where you want to be, stick to only those course with a high math content. That means avoiding stuff like institutions and the corporate reporting. Macroeconomics is not typically used in quant finance as much as you might thin, but it's maths about money so does no harm.
Some quant jobs actively ask for accounting skills, but these correlate with credit, and you have to take a view on how credit derivs will be in a few yeas when you hit the market.

Back