• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergraduate Classes

Hi All,

I have a question on recommendations for what classes are best to take senior year. To give a quick breakdown of my background, I am a Mathematics and Economics double major and Computer Science minor. This summer (my junior year), I will be interning at Goldman Sachs in a corporate finance role (fundamental valuation). I am not sure if I want to go down the IBD path or go to graduate school for an MFE, but I want to leave my options as open as possible.

Completed Coursework:
Math: Calculus 1-5, Intro to Linear Algebra, Math Reasoning, Probability Theory, Intro to Math Finance
Computer Science: Intro to Comp Sci (Java), Data Structures (Java), Numerical Analysis (MATLAB)
Economics: Econometrics (2 semesters), Financial Economics, Intro to Financial Accounting

My cumulative GPA is currently a 3.75 so it is okay - I expect it to be at a 3.80 after this semester. My options for next year are:
Math: Math Theory of Stat, Probability Theory II, Stochastic Models, Combinatorics
Computer Science: Computer Algorithms, Software Methodology (Java)
Economics: Economic Forecasting, Game Theory

Could someone please rank which classes would be most useful and relevant? Thanks.

Assuming you are taking 5 classes: Computer Algorithms, Game Theory, Stochastic Models, Probability Theory II, and Math Theory of Stat.

Relevant work experience that interests you trumps grad school in my opinion. Going to grad school later will always be an option.

Hi All,

I have a question on recommendations for what classes are best to take senior year. To give a quick breakdown of my background, I am a Mathematics and Economics double major and Computer Science minor. This summer (my junior year), I will be interning at Goldman Sachs in a corporate finance role (fundamental valuation). I am not sure if I want to go down the IBD path or go to graduate school for an MFE, but I want to leave my options as open as possible.

Completed Coursework:
Math: Calculus 1-5, Intro to Linear Algebra, Math Reasoning, Probability Theory, Intro to Math Finance
Computer Science: Intro to Comp Sci (Java), Data Structures (Java), Numerical Analysis (MATLAB)
Economics: Econometrics (2 semesters), Financial Economics, Intro to Financial Accounting

My cumulative GPA is currently a 3.75 so it is okay - I expect it to be at a 3.80 after this semester. My options for next year are:
Math: Math Theory of Stat, Probability Theory II, Stochastic Models, Combinatorics
Computer Science: Computer Algorithms, Software Methodology (Java)
Economics: Economic Forecasting, Game Theory

Could someone please rank which classes would be most useful and relevant? Thanks.

My ranking would be:

1. Probability II
2. Computer Algorithms or Software Methodology
(These course are probably fairly different from each other, but still I'd pick only one or the other depending on what you know about what's covered you can pick)
3. Stochastic Models
4. Combinatorics
5. Math Theory of Stat

I'm a little pro-math. Other people might have a different take. Good luck!

Back