• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

University name for research positions in quant trading firms?

I'm looking to become a researcher/scientist at top quantitative/proprietary/high frequency trading firms like JS, HRT, Citadel, Rentech, DE Shaw, etc. I know that they are very selective about schools and GPA for quant or developer roles but is this also the case for research roles?

I am likely going to do a PhD in computer science, and wanted to hear at which of these schools I'd get an interview:

UIUC (Think I'll get an interview if I go here since it's best in CS but it is bad ranked in general)
Wisconsin madison
Northeastern (not a very prestigious school but alright in CS)
Brown (Ivy league maybe target but bad in computer science)
Harvard (A big target for quants but bad in CS. Don't know about research)
Yale
Berkeley, CMU, MIT, Stanford (I'm sure i'd get an interview if i go here)

I'm looking to become a researcher/scientist at top quantitative/proprietary/high frequency trading firms like JS, HRT, Citadel, Rentech, DE Shaw, etc. I know that they are very selective about schools and GPA for quant or developer roles but is this also the case for research roles?

I am likely going to do a PhD in computer science, and wanted to hear at which of these schools I'd get an interview:

UIUC (Think I'll get an interview if I go here since it's best in CS but it is bad ranked in general)
Wisconsin madison
Northeastern (not a very prestigious school but alright in CS)
Brown (Ivy league maybe target but bad in computer science)
Harvard (A big target for quants but bad in CS. Don't know about research)
Yale
Berkeley, CMU, MIT, Stanford (I'm sure i'd get an interview if i go here)
Getting a degree != getting an interview. Whether or not you get an interview depends on you. Those firms you listed are among the most selective. If you want an interview from them you need to lock in solid internships and probably place well in a few competitions. I guarantee there are a decent amount of applicants each year from target schools that get rejected before first round at those firms. Also PhD in CS to be a researcher? What are you planning on researching? Every place is different, but most research positions are even more competitive/sparse.

Is Harvard a big target for quants? That maybe true, but I have never heard that. If you are looking at CS then CMU should be your number 1.

Just create a couple of your own trading systems and send it to one of the traders in the target firm. If your work has any potential, recruiter will reach out.

Back