• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

University of Warsaw vs. Hanken School of Economics

Greetings everyone,

I was accepted to both University of Warsaw and Hanken School of Economics. Both curriculums seem solid, but I was wondering whether any working quants could chime in and look at the subjects to advise on which is the better education plan.

I appreciate any input- thanks!

University of Warsaw - M.A in Quantitative Finance

General Courses

Electivecourses(OGUN) (seminar), ECTS 6
Core Courses

Theory of Finance (lecture), ECTS 4
Mathematical Methodsin Finance (lecture, lab.classes), ECTS 7
Time Series Analysis (lecture, lab.classes), ECTS 6
Advanced Macroeconomics (Growth + Business Cycles)(lecture, tutorial*), ECTS 6
Advanced Microeconomics (General Equilibrium + Game Theory)(lecture, tutorial*), ECTS 6
Quantitative Strategies. High FrequencyData (lecture, lab.classes), ECTS 6
Field of Study Courses

Corporate Finance (lecture, lab.classes), ECTS 6
Financial Statement Analysis (lecture, lab.classes), ECTS 6
Asset Allocation and InvestmentStrategies 1 (seminar), ECTS 4
Equity andFixedIncome (lecture, lab.classes), ECTS 5
Asset Allocation and Investment Strategies 2 (lecture), ECTS 4
Derivatives Markets (lecture, lab.classes), ECTS 5
Ethical Standards and Finanacial Law (lecture), ECTS 4
Risk Analysis and Modelling1 (seminar), ECTS 4
C++ in Quantitative Finance1 (seminar), ECTS 4
Risk Analysis and Modelling 2 (seminar), ECTS 4
C++ in Quantitative Finance 2 (seminar), ECTS 4
Empirics ofFinancial Markets (seminar), ECTS 4
Automatic Transactional Systems (seminar), ECTS 5
Master Thesis Seminar

Hanken School of Economics - M.Sc. in Quantitative Finance

Programme core courses (66 ECTS):

* Advanced Financial Theory
* Research Methods in Finance
* Financial Modeling Using VBA and Excel
* Research Seminars in Quantitative Finance
* Master of Science Thesis

Programme specific courses (24 ECTS):

* Mathematics of Financial Derivatives
* Financial Time Series Analysis
* Professional English and Academic Writing

A sample of electives (30 ECTS):

* Quantitative Financial Economics
* Volatility Modeling and Empirical Methods in Finance
* International Asset Pricing
* Corporate Finance
* Pricing of Financial Securities and Derivatives
* Portfolio Management
* Value Investing

Sure, it might be helpful. Same thing can be said about courses in diplomacy and financial ethics. Nevertheless, these courses should not count towards a degree in financial engineering.

Sure, it might be helpful. Same thing can be said about courses in diplomacy and financial ethics. Nevertheless, these courses should not count towards a degree in financial engineering.
Why not? Not everyone is a native English speaker and the ability to communicate is a great asset to have.

Last edited:
you're assuming that the finance community there only does business locally.
that's not right which is why good schools understand that their graduate will have to travel, work with foreigners, or even work abroad.
This English requirement is met for UK and US programs because you have to speak English already in order to get into the program.

you're assuming that the finance community there only does business locally.
that's not right which is why good schools understand that their graduate will have to travel, work with foreigners, or even work abroad.
This English requirement is met for UK and US programs because you have to speak English already in order to get into the program.

I'm assuming people there are not idiots.

Why not? Not everyone is a native English speaker and the ability to communicate is a great asset to have.

You give foreigners way too little credit. As a kid from continental Europe I can assure you, that we are schooled in foreign languages (especially English) throughout our education. In Denmark, e.g., English is now mandatory from the first grade, which will give you a minimum of 15 years of experience upon embarking on grad level studies.

Maybe we were savages when you first met us in Lindisfarne, but we've come quite a way since then.

You give foreigners way too little credit. As a kid from continental Europe I can assure you, that we are schooled in foreign languages (especially English) throughout our education. In Denmark, e.g., English is now mandatory from the first grade, which will give you a minimum of 15 years of experience upon embarking on grad level studies.

Maybe we were savages when you first met us in Lindisfarne, but we've come quite a way since then.
Daniel, you were born a savage! :)

It looks things got better after you left Denmark.

Daniel, you were born a savage! :)

It looks things got better after you left Denmark.
I might have been born a savage, but I am looking to the stars. :D

We chucked out the Jutes at Clontarf in 1014. Sent them on their merry way to Skaggerak.

Last edited:
Back