• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UPenn MSE-DS Online or GaTech OMSCS?

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking around this forum for awhile but I'd like to ask a question about education.

I know MFE is the best route to go if I want to switch my career into quant finance but I'm afraid I may be too old to get in and I want a backup plan.

I got admitted to UPenn MSE-DS Online and GaTech OMSCS for Fall 2023.

My professional background:
Electrical and control system engineering for past 9 years or so (Just turned 30 because I started working early) in the energy industry (Oil & Gas + Power Distribution).

My educational background:
BS Computer Science & Business Management (No name school)
MBA Data Analytics and Finance (State school Top50)

In the webinar, associate dean of MSE-DS online mentioned quantitative finance as a possible career outcome from the program.
He didn't mention which specific roles but I think it'll be most likely DS role.

I'm interested in QR position and I'm leaning towards OMSCS because I can get more in-depth knowledge in CS.
I'm torn because UPenn seems to be more connected to finance/banking and DS is pretty much stats + CS + business/finance.

Which program will be a better program for me if I want to be a QR eventually?

Should I apply to MFE programs instead?

I apologize for my ignorance in advance.
Also, thank you for your consideration.

Of the 2, I'll lean toward UPenn MSE-DS.

QR isn't just a dev role, you'll need to be good with math/stats, so an MFE or maybe DS curriculum is more applicable.

I did UPenn MCIT, and I'd think the learning experience shouldn't differ too much from MSE-DS. You'll find good instructor/TA-student ratios which I feel is quite important for the learning process especially as an online program - you'll get responses in the forums rather quickly so you won't be wasting time getting stuck on a problem. If you do want to get more CS exposure later, I think you might be able to apply for the dual-degree option to do courses from the MCIT program, or just take the graduate certificate on systems.

Of the 2, I'll lean toward UPenn MSE-DS.

QR isn't just a dev role, you'll need to be good with math/stats, so an MFE or maybe DS curriculum is more applicable.

I did UPenn MCIT, and I'd think the learning experience shouldn't differ too much from MSE-DS. You'll find good instructor/TA-student ratios which I feel is quite important for the learning process especially as an online program - you'll get responses in the forums rather quickly so you won't be wasting time getting stuck on a problem. If you do want to get more CS exposure later, I think you might be able to apply for the dual-degree option to do courses from the MCIT program, or just take the graduate certificate on systems.
Thank you! I didn't think about doing the dual-degree. Right, I actually committed to MSE-DS after sleeping on the matter for some time.

My interaction with UPenn has been very positive. They are very responsive, insightful and helpful. Honestly, the staff's warm professionalism impressed me.
My experience with GaTech has been a little bit frustrating. I think it's a great program still but it may not be the best fit for me.

I really want to interact with professors who are teaching the courses and I don't think that's the case for the majority of GaTech courses.
Also, Dean Isbell is moving on from GaTech. He inspired me to apply so there is a uncertainty who will replace his leadership in the program.

For UPenn, I love Dr. Michael Kearns and his research related to quantitative finance.
He may not be in the faculty of the online programs but it'd be really cool if I can meet and talk to him in the future at UPenn when I get to visit.

Thank you! I didn't think about doing the dual-degree. Right, I actually committed to MSE-DS after sleeping on the matter for some time.

My interaction with UPenn has been very positive. They are very responsive, insightful and helpful. Honestly, the staff's warm professionalism impressed me.
My experience with GaTech has been a little bit frustrating. I think it's a great program still but it may not be the best fit for me.

I really want to interact with professors who are teaching the courses and I don't think that's the case for the majority of GaTech courses.
Also, Dean Isbell is moving on from GaTech. He inspired me to apply so there is a uncertainty who will replace his leadership in the program.

For UPenn, I love Dr. Michael Kearns and his research related to quantitative finance.
He may not be in the faculty of the online programs but it'd be really cool if I can meet and talk to him in the future at UPenn when I get to visit.
Hey how is UPenn's MSE DS did it help you shift towards the Quant field? I just got an offer from UPenn's MSE DS and was wondering if it's worthing going. I'm scared the the DS program would limit myself towards a DS DA DR role.

Back