• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

urgent, plz help, i20 application declined

hi, ive confirmed to go to Baruch MFE 2007 class and sent my bank statement showing the amount around 50k USD to the official office dealing with i20 applications, BUT they declined to issue i20 to me, for the reason that amount isnt ENOUGH without saying how much at all is needed!!!

here i do the simple calculation:

two year's living expenses 15,500*2=31,000USD
tuition fees 19,000USD
total 50,000USD

could you please tell me is there anything wrong with this calculation? how much mony at all do i have to afford in this MFE program?

thx soooooo much

Well, if the fee didn't change for the program and living expense didn't sky-rocket in the past year, 30k USD should be sufficient, so 50K USD is more than enough, for the first year, which means it should be sufficient for them to issue you the I-20.

Couple of things you need to note though , if the officials you've been dealing with didn't make it clear enough for you ( I assume the officials are the international office staffs, let me just say you need a lot of patience when dealing with them, ). Was the bank statement you sent them in English and all the currencies in USD or at least converted into USD, cause otherwise they wouldn't know how much it was. And you can always ring up to ask about the specifics.

Also, try to contact Cathy if you hit major road blocks. Good luck.

It seems the amount should be $59,300. Email me and Cathy tomorrow, we will see what we can do, and do it fast. No student was ever admitted and didn't get a visa in the end.

What kind of financial statement you used to show you have $50K?
They view US$50K in saving/checking account/s differently from US$50K in CD account/s.
It will be better if you can provide more than one type of financial sourse.

Also, if your balance is too close to what school document says about eductional expense then you may run into problem since your number is "too perfect" to match school's number.
You want to avoid giving people a feeling that you "cook up" the amount of money on the financial statement just to meet the school requirement.

I believe Andy's number is correct, and you better provide financial statements with a total amount that is 10-15% more than what is required by school.
I am sure they won't tell you what is the "enough" amount for your study.

Good luck,
-A/C

thx.

my fund is all in a saving account. i resent addional ones to ISSC, amounting to 60k.
so expensive.

thx.

my fund is all in a saving account. i resent addional ones to ISSC, amounting to 60k.
so expensive.

I will add the links to the ISSC pages as well the amount required for I-20 on the Dept website, FAQ and here. I suggest prospective students to look at the numbers and do their homework before applying and hope that will cut down on these surprising exclaims after the fact. ;)
Regards,

Back