• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

VB.NET

I am interested in knowing how important is VB.NET for quant jobs ? Where it is used ? Is it similar to any other language say C++ ?

Thanks in advance !

VB.NET is not like anything else, it's not even like VB all that much.

As a founder member of the VB User Group I have to say that I hated VB.NET the first time I saw it. Then hated it a bit more, and then settled down to a quiet distant loathing, hoping that somehow it would just go away.

I'm not alone, VB.NET cost Microsoft a big % of the developer tools market in general, and in the case of the quant market, it simply never got going at all.

I know of more quants using SmallTalk than VB.NET, (don't feel embarrassed if you've never heard of it, the point is that it's old, obscure and painfully hard to maintain, so therefore critical to JP Morgan).

VB.NET is vaguely like C#, since it was written by the people kicked out of the teams writing tools for grownups, so it's a Cargo Cult impression of C#. In the same way that cargo cults tried making radios out of wood and sea shells.

It is almost uniquely useless as a skill to the aspiring quant.

In order, the quant programming tools are:
C++
VBA (not VB.NET)
Matlab
C#
Perl
SQL
Mathematica
Java
Fortran
Smalltalk
Slang
Objective C
VB.NET

This is not the order of their use in getting a job.
Few quants are hired for VBA skills, and C# is the second most demanded language.

If C++ seems a bit hard, then start with C#, the demand is less but it's on rational difficulty/value curve. Every minute spent learning VB.NET is wastged.

More than a year ago a statement about .Net was made 'Every minute spent on learning .Net is wasted'.

I was wondering if this is still true or if .Net was becoming the tool of future?

If you look of how much C# evolved in the last years (version 4.0 now) and the bright future F# will have in the financial world I can only advice you to learn as much as you can. Without saying how easy it is to move from C# to Java or even C++ and from F# to Matlab to a certain extend.

Back