GENERAL Visual Studio Installation/Troubleshooting

ExSan

VS20** is a bit like a auto/car; take the time to learn the gearbox etc. and if it's French reverse engineer the embedded software syste to trace the root cause of the problem :D
VS2012, -C++ 11- think about like driving in England

Last edited:

Wanzhu

C++ Student
@APalley Hi, I'm new to programming and I'm stuck in the hello example in lecture 1.1.

I have the same questions as Zhangziming or Jingyu asked above. The appearance is different and some of the icons are in grey color. I've tried the method you mentioned before but was still stuck in some steps. Is this difference due to different version? How the above students solve their problems at last?

Also, I saw you mentioned there was a .sln file. Is it included in the 1.1 package? I couldn't find it.

Thanks a lot!

APalley

@APalley Hi, I'm new to programming and I'm stuck in the hello example in lecture 1.1.

I have the same questions as Zhangziming or Jingyu asked above. The appearance is different and some of the icons are in grey color. I've tried the method you mentioned before but was still stuck in some steps. Is this difference due to different version? How the above students solve their problems at last?

Also, I saw you mentioned there was a .sln file. Is it included in the 1.1 package? I couldn't find it.

Thanks a lot!
Hi, don't worry about the appearance -- that's can differ between versions. The important thing is that you are able to create a project and successfully run the programs. The steps to do so would be:

1) Create a new solution in Visual Studio (empty solution, as shown in the lecture)
2) Add the .c file from 1.1 to the project -- you should now be able to compile/run the program.

You cannot simply double-click open a code file and run it -- it needs to be part of a project.

VS will create a .sln file for you when you create a new solution

Wanzhu

C++ Student
@APalley Oh, I see that in the later part of the video. I should have went through the whole lecture and then started. Thanks a lot!!

Wanzhu

C++ Student
@APalley Sorry still have question about VS. I've seen the video that guided how to create an empty project. But when I clicked new project->Concole application->enter name and location, then there was no pop-up application settings window where I can choose empty project. How can I deal with this?

APalley

@APalley Sorry still have question about VS. I've seen the video that guided how to create an empty project. But when I clicked new project->Concole application->enter name and location, then there was no pop-up application settings window where I can choose empty project. How can I deal with this?
What did you see?

APalley

After I clicking OK, it automatically set up a project with some contents. Like attached.
This is not a standard C++ project -- it is a CLR application. You need to select 'Win32 Console Application' under Win32 (see image):
upload_2014-7-13_19-29-11.png

Gabelev

C++ Student
Quick question: When I create a new project Visual Studio does not give me the option of doing it empty as is mentioned in the first lecture and I can't seem to find where to fix that.

Thanks!
Gabe

Zhenfeng Leung

C++ Student
Quick question: When I create a new project Visual Studio does not give me the option of doing it empty as is mentioned in the first lecture and I can't seem to find where to fix that.

Thanks!
Gabe
You have to click the Application Settings on the left side of the Wizard.

Gabelev

C++ Student
There is no wizard opening, that's the problem...

Thanks for helping!