GENERAL Visual Studio Installation/Troubleshooting

Alex Bach

C++ Student
Hi Andy, I'm having a ton of problems installing Parallels on my Mac in order to utilize Visual Studio. I'm at the point where Parallels is trying to determine my Operating System and it just keeps spinning. This is very frustrating considering I've been using Code Blocks on my computer for awhile now. Is there something I am missing?

It's very frustrating that I'm having such difficulty considering I had to pay extra because I own a Mac when Code Blocks offers free options for Mac users.

alex_djk

C++ Student
Marcelo, try to create an empty project in VS (New->Project->Visual C++ -> Win32->Win32 Console App ->Enter Name -> Next ->Check Empty project) then copy *.cpp *.hpp into the project folder and add them in solution explorer (for example: Right Click on Header File in Solution Explorer -> Add -> Existed Item -> add *.hpp).
Make sure all includes set properly in the files.
@APalley

When I do this part (New->Project->Visual C++ -> Win32->Win32 Console App ->Enter Name -> Next ->Check Empty project) I get the error,

"you cannot open this project with your express edition of visual studio for windows 10. this edition only supports development of universal windows platform apps"

and it fails to open and goes back to the New project wizard.

Note: I have visual studio 2015 installed on my windows 10 machine, I cant seem to get my computer to install visual studio 2012.

Last edited:

APalley

@APalley

When I do this part (New->Project->Visual C++ -> Win32->Win32 Console App ->Enter Name -> Next ->Check Empty project) I get the error,

"you cannot open this project with your express edition of visual studio for windows 10. this edition only supports development of universal windows platform apps"

and it fails to open and goes back to the New project wizard.

Note: I have visual studio 2015 installed on my windows 10 machine, I cant seem to get my computer to install visual studio 2012.
It does not seem to be the correct edition of C++. Which edition of 2015 do you have?

alex_djk

C++ Student
Under "File -> Account Settings" it says

Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows 10, License 30 day trial (for evaluation purposes only)

Under "Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows 10" it says

Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows 10
Version 14.0.24720.00 Update 1

Microsoft .Net Framework
Version 4.6.01038

APalley

Under "File -> Account Settings" it says

Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows 10, License 30 day trial (for evaluation purposes only)

Under "Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows 10" it says

Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows 10
Version 14.0.24720.00 Update 1

Microsoft .Net Framework
Version 4.6.01038
Can you try VS 2015 community edition?

Incidentally, what happens when you try to install 2010 or 2012?

Kyle_Anthony

Has there been any success with running VS2015? I have VS2015 installed on a VM (W10 via Parallels, 2012 Macbook Pro) and am missing the Win32 app selection from New Projects. I see that the common solutions are to relegate to '10 and '12 VS legacy editions, but from what I've seen neither are supported with W10 (VS2015 is all that's offered on VS site/Windows online store). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pavlos Sakoglou

C++ Student
Has there been any success with running VS2015? I have VS2015 installed on a VM (W10 via Parallels, 2012 Macbook Pro) and am missing the Win32 app selection from New Projects. I see that the common solutions are to relegate to '10 and '12 VS legacy editions, but from what I've seen neither are supported with W10 (VS2015 is all that's offered on VS site/Windows online store). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
What about VS2010? does it run?
You could still complete the assignments there, if you want to start the work, until you figure it out.

Kyle_Anthony

What about VS2010? does it run?
You could still complete the assignments there, if you want to start the work, until you figure it out.
Thanks for the quick response! Downloaded VS2010 but it won't open to install on W10. I downloaded VS2012 and while it is opening, it has an error upon beginning installation (screenshot below). I've restarted numerous times but it hasn't made a difference.
Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 1.31.07 PM.png

JPohlmeyer

C++ Student
I'm currently running VS 2015 Community on my machines and I'm running into a bit of a problem. I am using Google Drive as the directory to save all of my work so that I can do said work on my different computers, and this morning as I tried to run the code for the exercise I'm currently working (1.3 #7) on I'm getting a LNK1104 error indicating that it can't access the .exe file. I then tried to run the code from exercise 6, which was working on one of my machines at home, and got the same error. Then I tried running exercise 1, for example, and it ran like a charm. All of this I'm doing in debug mode. When I go into release mode the window comes up indicating that an executable was created (possibly) but the only thing that shows up is "Access is Denied". I've tried searching around on the interwebs but there seems to be no feasible reason why my machine would have trouble accessing an .exe file on a project that I created locally this morning.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

APalley

I'm currently running VS 2015 Community on my machines and I'm running into a bit of a problem. I am using Google Drive as the directory to save all of my work so that I can do said work on my different computers, and this morning as I tried to run the code for the exercise I'm currently working (1.3 #7) on I'm getting a LNK1104 error indicating that it can't access the .exe file. I then tried to run the code from exercise 6, which was working on one of my machines at home, and got the same error. Then I tried running exercise 1, for example, and it ran like a charm. All of this I'm doing in debug mode. When I go into release mode the window comes up indicating that an executable was created (possibly) but the only thing that shows up is "Access is Denied". I've tried searching around on the interwebs but there seems to be no feasible reason why my machine would have trouble accessing an .exe file on a project that I created locally this morning.

Has anyone experienced something like this?
VS can sometimes create a lock on the file, making it impossible to recompile. The easiest way to resolve this is to delete the debug folders from the project folder and recompile.

Unfortunately that didn't seem to work, so I just installed VS Express for Desktop (2012) and now the only problem I'm running into is that the console window is closing at the end of a program even when I hold CTRL+F5 in both Debug and Release. Any thoughts for a solution aside from adding in a pause statement or something like that at the end of every one of my programs?

APalley

Unfortunately that didn't seem to work, so I just installed VS Express for Desktop (2012) and now the only problem I'm running into is that the console window is closing at the end of a program even when I hold CTRL+F5 in both Debug and Release. Any thoughts for a solution aside from adding in a pause statement or something like that at the end of every one of my programs?
You will need a pause or a getchar in this version.