• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Vol Target Options

lets say I have an asset X(t), which is a vol targeted version of the SX5E Index. While I have a vol surface for pricing options for the Eurostoxx,

a. how will the vol surface for X(t) look like ? Will it be a flat surface, given know that irrespective tenor and moneyness my vol will be same as the targeted level ?
b. what happens to the vega in such a case; given its a flat surface, do I end up having no sensitivity to the option price wrt
c. Intuitively, how does the pricing of such options vary from the vanilla options on standard indices
d. how do traders hedge and managed their books with such instruments

Intuitively the surface cannot be flat since vol targeted assets still have varying volatility. Think of it this way, vol targeted funds try to do an asset allocation such that the current (or forecastable) volatility of the fund will meet the target. However, the index could have a volatility shock, then the fund may react, but will be ex post,.

Yes, I agree .. rolling vol is like a sinusodial wave moving around the target level ..
So how do I deal with the above questions

Back