• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Waitlist UCB and no Interview yet

Hello,
I had been waitlisted for UCB MFE, but have not had my interview yet. I have been asked to complete few courses first(Coursera coursers etc). What are the chances of converting the waitlist to Acceptance? Anyone who was in a similar position and has received an admit? Thank you.

UCB asked you to complete coursera courses to become more eligible? Is this to fill gaps from undergrad?

I'm not sure about this, but I think you will have to wait till at least the end of Round 3. The admitted students also get a pre-requisite checklist so don't worry, it is very much possible that you'll be interviewed soon. Just make sure that you are disciplined, are doing the courses and are sending them regular monthly updates. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm not sure about this, but I think you will have to wait till atleast the end of Round 3. The admitted students also get a pre-requisite checklist so don't worry that much, it is very much possible that you'll be interviewed soon. Just make sure that you are disciplined, are doing the courses and are sending them regular monthly updates. Good luck!
Understand. Thank you for this.

Hi PDquant,
I am in the exactly same position as you but in Round 4. I didn't get an interview and was placed on Waitlist. I wonder did you get any update from them as you complete their preparation list?

Hi PDquant,
I am in the exactly same position as you but in Round 4. I didn't get an interview and was placed on Waitlist. I wonder did you get any update from them as you complete their preparation list?
Hey, did you get an interview? I was interviewed but no result yet.

I was placed on the waitlist initially and then admitted for Spring 23 (ultimately decided to defer, worked for a ~year and now I'm going to Baruch). Even after graduating Summa Cum Laude in Physics and Applied Math, I basically still had everything listed as a pre-requisite (almost as if they didn't care looking through the transcripts tbh). I had to send admissions a thorough email explaining all the courses I took in undergrad, attaching the exact syllabi of my past courses I had to chase my professors for.
Only then I got an interview with an alumn which was really relaxed (I think it was pretty clear to him that I knew math...). After my interview I had only some of the prerequisites checked out and got the offer. Even though I did take multiple graduate-level courses in stats, stochastic calculus, and more, I still had to take Coursera courses to prove that I know my stuff (lol). Not to mention all the required prereqs...
I guess my advice is if you keep updating them on your progress you are likely to get an interview. Best of luck!

Back