• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Want to pursue Ph.D. in Quant Finance. Opinions on which programs to target? Please.

Hello QuantNet Community,

I am a Mechanical Engineer. I am currently pursuing two Masters from the University of North Carolina Charlotte.

First being, Masters in Mathematics with a concentration in Applied Statistics and the second one is Masters in Mathematical finance with Computational Finance track.

I will be graduating in May 2020. My current GPA for both Masters is 3.8.

I have undertaken Graduate-level courses such as Analysis, Financial Economic theory, Derivatives, Stochastic Calculus in Finance, Fixed Income and Credit Risk, Statistical Inference, Advanced Derivatives with Python, Linear Statistical Models, Cross-section econometrics in my first two years of study.

In my final year, I will be undertaking Numerical Methods for Financial Derivatives, Financial Computing, Multivariate analysis, Time series econometrics and will also be working on my research seminar which is like a mini-thesis in the fall semester.

During my masters, I have worked on a couple of quant finance projects in Python, Stata, Matlab and will also be working on new projects in my last year.

My GRE score is 320 with 167 in Quant.

I am really interested and wish to pursue a Ph.D. from top institutions from Fall 2020 like
  1. Cornell University
  2. Boston University
  3. Princeton University
  4. Columbia University
  5. UNC-Chapel Hill
  6. Stony Brook University
  7. The University of Florida ( Dept of Industry and System Engineering )
  8. Florida State University
  9. Purdue University
  10. University of Pennsylvania
It will be a great help if the community comments on my profile and my chances of getting admitted for a Ph.D. in top programs in the USA. Also, can you please tell which programs should I aim for?

Thank you for taking the time to give me crucial advice.

I've been told that if it's a good PhD, then it's free. Also, why PhD? With what you're learning, pretty much twice the usual student, what do you feel is missing? You will be involved in some of the best course by topic by the time you're done. That should give you an idea of what you want to do any why. With your profile, don't be worried about "the chances", just save cash and apply to all of them.

Talk to some people on LinkedIn (click Connect and always and your own not of introduction)
PhD-1 went to Boston U
PhD-2 still completing it at Boston U
PhD-3 also still in completion

Hello QuantNet Community,

I am a Mechanical Engineer. I am currently pursuing two Masters from the University of North Carolina Charlotte.

First being, Masters in Mathematics with a concentration in Applied Statistics and the second one is Masters in Mathematical finance with Computational Finance track.

I will be graduating in May 2020. My current GPA for both Masters is 3.8.

I have undertaken Graduate-level courses such as Analysis, Financial Economic theory, Derivatives, Stochastic Calculus in Finance, Fixed Income and Credit Risk, Statistical Inference, Advanced Derivatives with Python, Linear Statistical Models, Cross-section econometrics in my first two years of study.

In my final year, I will be undertaking Numerical Methods for Financial Derivatives, Financial Computing, Multivariate analysis, Time series econometrics and will also be working on my research seminar which is like a mini-thesis in the fall semester.

During my masters, I have worked on a couple of quant finance projects in Python, Stata, Matlab and will also be working on new projects in my last year.

My GRE score is 320 with 167 in Quant.

I am really interested and wish to pursue a Ph.D. from top institutions from Fall 2020 like
  1. Cornell University
  2. Boston University
  3. Princeton University
  4. Columbia University
  5. UNC-Chapel Hill
  6. Stony Brook University
  7. The University of Florida ( Dept of Industry and System Engineering )
  8. Florida State University
  9. Purdue University
  10. University of Pennsylvania
It will be a great help if the community comments on my profile and my chances of getting admitted for a Ph.D. in top programs in the USA. Also, can you please tell which programs should I aim for?

Thank you for taking the time to give me crucial advice.

Hi Erwin, I had both BA and MS in mechanical engineering, now I am going to apply for mater in Computational Finance track; Can you share with me a little about your experience on successfully obtain the MFE offer? Did you have relevant quant working experience before? My email is wmssun379@gmail.com

Many thanks

Back