• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What are my chances?

Hi,
Sharing my profile to know what are my chances in CMU, UCB, UCLA, Georgia Tech, U Michigan, U California, Columbia, John's Hopkins.

I have:
1) 3.7 GPA in undergrad in Mechanical Engineering from a top ranked institute in India
2) 3 Internships: Honda, vehicle quality; EY, finance; Anand, Process Engineering.
3) GRE score: 318- 154 verbal, 164 quant
4) TOEFL: 100
5) Coding proficiency in - Python, C, C++, Java, Matlab, Arduino, SQL
6) Project based on Python for stock recommendation
7) Volunteer experience with 2 institutions
8) 3 strong LORs from undergraduate teachers
9) 1 year of work ex- Gartner, Product Operations( Data Extraction and Analysis, using Python, DAX in Power Bi)
10) Maths - Covered calculus, differential equations, numerical analysis, optimization techniques with decent grades.

Last edited:
Just retake GRE and aim for near 170. Not a single program in quantnet's top 10 has average quant score below 168, so you're quite a bit below that. If you practice a bit and be cautious it shouldn't be hard to get higher score in quant.

I'd also recommend retaking TOEFL, 100 is quite low and I think it's the bare minimum required by some schools to even be considered for admission.

Just retake GRE and aim for near 170. Not a single program in quantnet's top 10 has average quant score below 168, so you're quite a bit below that. If you practice a bit and be cautious it shouldn't be hard to get higher score in quant.

I'd also recommend retaking TOEFL, 100 is quite low and I think it's the bare minimum required by some schools to even be considered for admission.
Will verbal matter that much as well?

I don't think so, just don't get something really low - the idea is not to draw attention from getting a good verbal score (won't happen for quant programs), but to avoid drawing attention from getting a terrible score.

Back