• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What are skills set required by Equity Research roles?

I was considering MFE programs because I want to be in equity research or commodity research. But a friend/mentor said equity research are not necessarily quantitative.

What are the skills required? Education? And if there are equity research people out there, what is your typical day like?
Thanks. Any insights are much appreciated.

less skills and more networking skills, school name brand, and interest in the sector you're applying for. Let's say you want to go into pharmaceuticals. Getting a PHD in chemistry/bio (not sure which one tbh) or going to Rutgers Pharmacy would be a lot more useful than an MFE

less skills and more networking skills, school name brand, and interest in the sector you're applying for. Let's say you want to go into pharmaceuticals. Getting a PHD in chemistry/bio (not sure which one tbh) or going to Rutgers Pharmacy would be a lot more useful than an MFE
what kind of background is qualified to cover the tech sector? And what about roles that I have seen that doesn't specify sectors? just says " Equity Research Analyst"?

Assuming sell-side...

When I was in risk management working for a top tier bank I was interested in Equity Research and spoke to over 20 members of the team. Eventually I had to take two internal tests to qualify for the role. I also interviewed extensively at another large bank and had a similar experience.

Education: MFE is not the right fit for ER. Most managers I spoke with were not even familiar with the MFE degree. There will be virtually 0 overlap in skillset.

Required Skills:
1) Soft-skills - You will be on the phone with hedge funds all day. You will be emailing your own feedback/analysis/presentations to clients.
2) Accounting - Understanding the 3 main accounting sheets and how they tie together. This was one of the two tests I had to take. It is far more advanced than accounting 101 though; so be prepared. WallStreetPrep course on this was insufficient.
3) Writing skills - This was test #2. You need to write recommendations on stocks long-hand. Also, when your predications turn out incorrect, you will need to pen explanations on why that occurred.

That is it! As you can see, virtually no overlap with MFE.

Just to close out:

Pay: On par with S&T
Hours: In between S&T and Investment Banking

All in all I think ER is an excellent career choice but the barriers to entry are very high.

idk why but the er people in my shitty bank don't seem very happy... maybe because nobody likes their reports

idk why but the er people in my shitty bank don't seem very happy... maybe because nobody likes their reports
Around earnings they are a miserable bunch, working past 12 every night and getting in 9ish. Get them at a calmer time and they will probably be much more relaxed.

Education: MFE is not the right fit for ER. Most managers I spoke with were not even familiar with the MFE degree. There will be virtually 0 overlap in skillset.

Hi, thanks for the insights! question: since programs like Princeton's Master of Finance are on the QuantNet list, can I assume that program is one of the MFEs? in another word, getting a master of finance has no skill overlap with equity research?

basically there is no education that will get me closer to Equity research? since... most accounting majors end up working for the big four... (and those are long hour + pay less than my current job)

Hi, thanks for the insights! question: since programs like Princeton's Master of Finance are on the QuantNet list, can I assume that program is one of the MFEs? in another word, getting a master of finance has no skill overlap with equity research?

I have found people get into ER the following ways:

1. From a undergrad internship from a top college
2. From the industry (a financial analyst at Ford, for example might end up at a bank working in Autos)
3. Internal mobility

Even from Princeton, I suspect a masters degree would only hurt your application, not help it. If you have a strong outgoing personality you might want to get into a bank via a less desirable role and network your way into ER.

I have found people get into ER the following ways:

1. From a undergrad internship from a top college
2. From the industry (a financial analyst at Ford, for example might end up at a bank working in Autos)
3. Internal mobility

Even from Princeton, I suspect a masters degree would only hurt your application, not help it. If you have a strong outgoing personality you might want to get into a bank via a less desirable role and network your way into ER.
option 3 requires the candidate to independently master the financial statement cold and develop reasonably deep knowledge of certain industries in spare time. pretty hard

option 3 requires the candidate to independently master the financial statement cold and develop reasonably deep knowledge of certain industries in spare time. pretty hard
Absolutely. Read my first post. Once they liked me as a human I had to take two exams. The accounting one was very rigorous.

Still, the biggest barrier was my willingness to network aggressively.

commodity research? commodities are dead. if you are a commodities researcher, he only thing you will be researching is morgues, because that is where you will be - amongst the dead.

equity research roles can be hugely dependent on the bank. i once worked in a research role in a bank but it was to do with exotic option prices and arbitrage using filters - you won't find this stuff in the modern day - some research roles require no quant

learn the major equity indices - how they behave (drift, volatility, skew, kurtosis, autocorrelation, daily/monthly trends, macro events), correlations with each other indices and with other key risk factors - 10 year UK/US yields, 2Y german yield, EURUSD rate...

funds will use some form of component analysis on their long/short equity funds - the hedging strategy on their portfolios will boil down to buying/selling maybe 4 or 5 risk factors - these risk factors will be the ones that have the largest principal components when PCA is performed on the portfolio. in mathematical speak, the eigenvalues of the risk factors will be important. so, unfortunately, some math will be required for equity research.

from a pricing/trading perspective, learn how prices are quoted - sometimes vols are quoted, other times prices are quoted. learn the Black Scholes pricing model and if you want to be rigorous learn the Dupire local volatility model. most equity research roles only cover equity stocks, forwards, futures, some other vanilla instruments and at MOST a quasi-vanilla option. so obviously you should know the details of these products. learn their greeks, their intrinsic properties, market conventions. this is not necessarily technical but books will help you here. i have never heard of an equity researcher preaching to me about variance swaps or barrier options or cliques - so dont worry about complicated equity derivatives.

i once built an implied risk neutral density function and an implied physical measure density function for some major equity indices and observed the trend - how did the extreme quantiles look? it was helpful but clients dont care for that kind of stuff. that is just one thing you could do - it is helpful to display in charts, people love looking at bell curves.

crucial to write good RESEARCH reports, advising most clients is tough at best of times. the advice here is simple: lots of charts, no or very few equations, use two columns for a page, always offer a simple conclusion. use lots of metaphors. forget the history of derivatives - this is not harry potter - not a literature book - be concise, please. look at the current 'great' researchers - here is a link to a good researcher at JPM - his style of writing is popular and is actually decent

JPMorgan Goes In On Bitcoin: Kolanovic Asks "Are Cryptocurrencies A Pyramid Scheme?" | Zero Hedge

always remember the reports you send out. you dont want to contradict yourself - actually maybe this is like a harry potter book, all your notes and reports should build into a little 'technical' manual, an evolving story of some sort, until the next financial crisis, of course, where all equity researchers will be fired anyway !

Just to close out:

Pay: On par with S&T
Hours: In between S&T and Investment Banking

Investment Banking has the longest hours, correct? Here IB means the capital markets people? (sorry if these are obvious questions)

this seems like a very bad advice.. advice vertigo gave are mostly quant-related. the author of the post is asking for 'equity research', which is not quantitative at all.

commodity research? commodities are dead. if you are a commodities researcher, he only thing you will be researching is morgues, because that is where you will be - amongst the dead.

equity research roles can be hugely dependent on the bank. i once worked in a research role in a bank but it was to do with exotic option prices and arbitrage using filters - you won't find this stuff in the modern day - some research roles require no quant

learn the major equity indices - how they behave (drift, volatility, skew, kurtosis, autocorrelation, daily/monthly trends, macro events), correlations with each other indices and with other key risk factors - 10 year UK/US yields, 2Y german yield, EURUSD rate...

funds will use some form of component analysis on their long/short equity funds - the hedging strategy on their portfolios will boil down to buying/selling maybe 4 or 5 risk factors - these risk factors will be the ones that have the largest principal components when PCA is performed on the portfolio. in mathematical speak, the eigenvalues of the risk factors will be important. so, unfortunately, some math will be required for equity research.

from a pricing/trading perspective, learn how prices are quoted - sometimes vols are quoted, other times prices are quoted. learn the Black Scholes pricing model and if you want to be rigorous learn the Dupire local volatility model. most equity research roles only cover equity stocks, forwards, futures, some other vanilla instruments and at MOST a quasi-vanilla option. so obviously you should know the details of these products. learn their greeks, their intrinsic properties, market conventions. this is not necessarily technical but books will help you here. i have never heard of an equity researcher preaching to me about variance swaps or barrier options or cliques - so dont worry about complicated equity derivatives.

i once built an implied risk neutral density function and an implied physical measure density function for some major equity indices and observed the trend - how did the extreme quantiles look? it was helpful but clients dont care for that kind of stuff. that is just one thing you could do - it is helpful to display in charts, people love looking at bell curves.

crucial to write good RESEARCH reports, advising most clients is tough at best of times. the advice here is simple: lots of charts, no or very few equations, use two columns for a page, always offer a simple conclusion. use lots of metaphors. forget the history of derivatives - this is not harry potter - not a literature book - be concise, please. look at the current 'great' researchers - here is a link to a good researcher at JPM - his style of writing is popular and is actually decent

JPMorgan Goes In On Bitcoin: Kolanovic Asks "Are Cryptocurrencies A Pyramid Scheme?" | Zero Hedge

always remember the reports you send out. you dont want to contradict yourself - actually maybe this is like a harry potter book, all your notes and reports should build into a little 'technical' manual, an evolving story of some sort, until the next financial crisis, of course, where all equity researchers will be fired anyway !

I was a Equity Research Analyst in the tech sector for my school's student investment fund, however I have no professional experience but here's my $0.02 anyways.

First and foremost, you really need to network and treat that like priority numero uno. Reach out to alumni on LinkedIn especially and ask to grab lunch or a drink with them. People in your network are just normal humans and you should treat them as such. Be a friend to them and not just someone looking for a favor. I decided not to go into Equity Research or IB as a career (I like QF better) but many of my friends did, and the ones that now work at Goldman cold called at least 1,000+ people. Networking works.

The technical skills needed are valuation (DCF, precedent transaction analysis, public comps, etc), accounting, and statistics. That list isn't comprehensive, those are just the MUST haves. And mastering these skills means you should be proficient in Excel, R, and Bloomberg. You obviously also need to have a solid understanding the tech industry because valuations usually vary greatly from industry to industry. This includes having a deep understanding of a company (read the god damn 10k), its current products and services, what it is doing in R&D, what Gartner magic quadrants apply to them and how do they rank (if applicable), and given all these factors how do they do look compared to their competitors. Again, not a comprehensive list but its a start.

I studied comp sci + math and had software engineering internships which helped a lot in understanding the tech industry as a whole. You'd be surprised how few research analysts truly understand what SaaS is.

EDIT: Don't get an MFE. If anything get an undergrad in finance, work a junior role for a bit, then go back to B school.

EDIT: Don't get an MFE. If anything get an undergrad in finance, work a junior role for a bit, then go back to B school.

Thanks for the insights! I already did an undergrad in Comp Sci. So far from all the replies that I gathered. I do agree with everyone who is saying ER is not very quantitative (compared to pure quant roles). but somehow being trained as a comp sci major, I now have a lot of front end work. And I would say front end dev work is even less quantitative than ER. At least ER use excel and calculate some ratios, correct?

Again, I'm not sure how quantitative ER can get in the real world but it certainly doesn't require a math degree. I think quantitative is a pretty relative term too. Yeah you're still using Excel to calculate the the present value of a company using accounting formulas and doing some basic stats stuff in R. As someone coming from a math background, it felt like what my friends and I would call "plug and chug". There's certainly no derivations or numerical methods like the stuff you'd see in an MFE.

My two cents: if you want to get into ER and lack the more "traditional" or academic finance background, consider taking on the CFA program and tackling their three exams. It's a fairly exhaustive graduate-level curriculum that covers much of what you'd need to be versed on in an ER role.

Again, I'm not sure how quantitative ER can get in the real world but it certainly doesn't require a math degree. I think quantitative is a pretty relative term too. Yeah you're still using Excel to calculate the the present value of a company using accounting formulas and doing some basic stats stuff in R. As someone coming from a math background, it felt like what my friends and I would call "plug and chug". There's certainly no derivations or numerical methods like the stuff you'd see in an MFE.

I agree with you totally. I'm just trying to say that there are some misleading articles out there that emphasis on how "tech" is sexy and interesting. When at the entry level, you can/might be in tech and do totally zero quantitative stuff too.

I'm just trying to say that there are some misleading articles out there that emphasis on how "tech" is sexy and interesting.
I've known many journalists for years. None have a clue about these kinds of things, even a financial journalist I know that is an ex-Goldman Sachs analyst but who is the biggest dope in history.

Getting back to your original question, I think the problem isn't about whether or not your work is 'sexy' or 'interesting', but whether you will become indispensable.

If you were asking about Equity Research because the job title sounded to you like a quant equity job then I'd consider other options. It's one thing being in an actuary or quant role that doesn't use much modelling or maths but where you are valued for your mathematical and analytical skills, a vastly different thing being in a role like Equity Research where calling it mathematical is well and truly taking the piss and where the Excel or R skills required are so benign that it's almost viewed as an 'aside'. In the first case you will always survive and may find something else that is more to your liking but in the latter case it will end badly and you will find it hard to find something new, even if you still have those mathematical skills. I went through 7 years of Project Finance which has many similarities with Equity Research in terms of who succeeds in the role - it was not of my own accord (my first firm shut down the quant team months after I joined and mismanaged the restructure) and I wouldn't recommend doing something like that of your own volition if you are mathematically inclined.

Of course, if you have a genuine interest in ER and great public speaking skills that's a different matter, and I wouldn't waste time with MFE as it would make it look like you're some time waster that is better suited to a pure quant or risk role.

Last edited:
Back