• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

WHAT DOES IT TAKE (TO GET IN)?

Man, I love these "am I good enough to get in" threads, so I'm going to start my own. But with the twist of cut my losses and go for the MBA or go all in and get the MFin/MFE/MSCF/etc...

Based on my unique background I'm a slam dunk for all the MBA programs -> 3.9 BS in Engineering from a near Ivy (we produce 3-5 Rhodes/Gates/Marshall scholars every year, although I'm not one of them); 5.0 from MIT in Engineering; and I'm an adjunct professor in engineering thermodynamics at my alma mater. However, what makes me a slam dunk for the MBA (seven years as an officer in the US military) also puts me a little out of my student glory years.

Q1 - Is CMU a shot in the dark?

Q2 - Even if it is, I'm still going to try, BUT what's the good hedge? I.e. where am I certain to get in that will also get me a job?

Thanks! I love (and desire) the candid input you guys always provide.

My first thoughts were, is this some kind of a trap?
Anyway,
Q1: CMU is not a shot in the dark. Among other things, getting a high GRE quant score will help.

Q2: There is no perfect hedge. Graduating from CMU/NYU/Baruch/Chicago/UCB will give you a better advantage compared to other 12 or more such programs.

If you want detailed comments, you may have to post your full statement of purpose online?! ;)

Do you think you're too old for MFE? Because the age range is probably the same as MBA. Seems like you have a pretty good background for MFE, as long as you do well on the math GRE. Also, nothing wrong with an MBA. I heard there's even an MBA/FE program somewhere...

You should apply to all the schools you think you can get in and then decide.

If you are a slam dunk candidate, apply to one of the MBA programs from the well known and recognized schools. If you want an FE degree, apply to them as well, then you can decide. The decision is always yours.

What could make this a trap? I'm all about the "wisdom of crowds"... wouldn't I have to be if I wanted to work in finance?

I'm most interested in ultimately getting into portfolio management. It seems that the CMU program provides the crash course on the mathematics and applied computer program that gets your foot in the door somewhere.

Is there a subtlety between MFE and MSCF that's being lost on me? I'm not as interested in engineering mergers or generating SIVs, as I am in evaluating/collecting/trading them. My interests (and abilities) lie more in the applied fields than in pure maths.

Thanks!

I don't think there is a real difference between MFE and MSCF - its just a matter of what the school decides to call it. There can, however, be a difference between MFE/MSCF and Fin Math. Some of the Fin Math programs I've looked at, such as Columbia and Boston U, are a bit more theoretical in nature.

When I talked to Rick Bryant (the director at CMU MSCF) he mentioned they take all sorts of students, including fresh grads like myself, and older students with more work experience like yourself. Given your excellent grades, I wouldn't call CMU a "shot in the dark"; obviously nobody here has the qualifications to say whether you'll definitely get in or not, but I'd certainly apply to CMU and the other top programs.

Back