• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What is suitable study to become a quant

Background

I am in Sixth form (Y12) in the UK . (So Grade 11 US). I study Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science

I recently learnt about this quant field and it interested me because I have always like math's, I started programming a few years ago really enjoy it and I recently started learning to trade which has exposed me to the financial markets and basic economics which I find interesting. So now I'm thinking a job in the quant sector would be amazing.

It is around the time now in the UK where we are being told to think about University and our careers so I would like some advice on what I should study.

I am also interested in electronic engineering in like robotics and devices

I have found different courses which I would be happy to study but none of them really have all of my interests because I would like to keep my options open.

These are links to some of the courses: electronic and electrical engineering, computing with finance and management, electronic and information engineering.

Questions

1. Is it best to study a degree with 1 job sector or career in mind or is me trying to keep my options open a good idea?
2. Can I get into the quant sector by doing engineering degrees like I have linked above and then doing a financial engineering masters?
3. What are the best courses I can study to get into the quant sector?

Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Hi! As a year 7 student who is also interested in quant finance, I will help answer your question bruv.

1. I think that you should get a degree that will give a you a broad scope of job prospects. A few examples are MATHEMATICS/APPLIED MATHEMATICS or COMPUTER SCIENCE or AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING/PHYSICS. Trust me, if you get a finance or business degree, most likely you will end up working in sales or something.

AS long as you can code in PYTHON/C/C++ AND do complex math (statistics, probability, CALCULUS, linear algebra) AND have a knowledge of financial terms and concepts( (portfolio management, risk, stocks etc), THEN YOU WILL BE FINE. (PS you have to be expert at math and have a GPA > 3.5)

2. As long as you can do advanced calculus, algebra and statistics, then it is fine. I dont think you should study electronic and information engineering or electrical engineering for a quant role. You could study them but you will end up working in the tech support/IT industry. So stick with a degree that places emphasis on MATH.

3. You will need a PhD or Masters. SO here are some combos:

B.S in Computer Science and Math (Double Major) + PhD in Math/CS/Applied Math/Applied Stats

B.S in Physics/Aerospace Engineering (Either one) + PhD in Physics/Applied Math/Stats

B.S in Statistics/Applied Math (Either one) + MFE/M.Sc in Applied Stats or/and PhD in Stats/Applied Stats/Applied Math

Try NOT to do:

B.S in Accounting, finance, business, humanities. (My mom works at Virtu Financial and from the list of applicants, THE FIRST THING THEY DO IS STRIKE OFF ALL THE BUSINESS, FINANCE, ACCOUNTING ETC MAJORS!)

Remember to get a hard science dgeree (math, physics etc), and learn C++, C, SQL, R or Python. Also try to get at least a Masters or PhD.

BYE!

(Fyi I am planning to do B.S in Physics and Stats + PhD in Physics)

Back