• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What 'level' of schools would I be competitive at?

Being a non-Asian is sort of an advantage. I had a 3.4 gpa and only had work experience at a recruiting firm for quantitative hedge funds. I would say your personal statement is extremely important as I believe it got me interviews for Princeton and CMU. My gre was 167-q and 156-v. I believe if I had done better that I may have been accepted to Princeton as that was one of the primary complaints. Once you get an interview at a school you must present yourself as someone who knows what they want to do and how your past actions will help you achieve that goal. If you do this you will get into a top school.

Being a non-Asian is sort of an advantage. I had a 3.4 gpa and only had work experience at a recruiting firm for quantitative hedge funds. I would say your personal statement is extremely important as I believe it got me interviews for Princeton and CMU. My gre was 167-q and 156-v. I believe if I had done better that I may have been accepted to Princeton as that was one of the primary complaints. Once you get an interview at a school you must present yourself as someone who knows what they want to do and how your past actions will help you achieve that goal. If you do this you will get into a top school.
Big plus for me was that I’m a US citizen, but I’m not sure how much that affects admissions.

Back