• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What should I do now? (Help with Education/Career Decisions)

So I recently got accepted into Baruch's Zicklin MS in Quantitative Methods and Modeling. From what I've been reading, this MS is more of a gateway than an actual career changer for most people. Right now I work in a Medical Informations Systems company, doing HelpDesk and Design work. I know it's a completely different field, that's what I need some advice.

1. I'm almost completely new to the Quant field and Finance in general. I've taken Physics, Statistics and Calculus in college and got pretty good grades (B+'s and higher). However my GPA suffered because of my Biology classes. Something that I really regret taking. However I majored in Information Systems towards the end of my college career and escaped undergrad with a 3.0 GPA. Not stellar by all means, but it could be worse.
I've been hearing that QMM is a good course to start off in to get into finance, but I want to take proactive steps to kind of help me further along this road. I've heard that a good complement to the quantitative backgrounds is a CFA. I know it's a bit of an investment, but I think it'll be good in the long run. Can anyone comment on the CFA?

2. I can't get a position in Finance for my life! Most of my free time after work goes to apply and working on my resume to find a position in Finance. Now since I don't have the typical background that a person in finance comes from, what can I do to better my chances?

3. Should I apply for another degree after I'm done with the QMM? I'm really going to work my butt off and try to get awesome grades. I slacked off in College mostly because I didn't know what to do, but since I came more into contact with Finance and what not I can't stay away from it. I think a MFE would be good, but I heard on other posts that a QMM and MFE might be over kill. Any other suggestions?

Any info would be appreciated friends. Thanks!

1. CFA won't hurt you, and could help you get a job in finance but adds little value to MFE application (in comparison to other things).

2. It's a tough job market right now, hang in there.

3. No clue. Education is always a plus in my book but you don't want two degrees that are too similar.

Back