• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What's missing from Industrial Engineering?

Edit: By the way, I am talking about at Michigan, not everywhere.

So I'm looking at this here... and I'm wondering what's missing from what classes are part of that, and a full MFE program. The only three MFE only classes are Statistical Methods in Finance, Optimization Methods in Finance, and Quantative Risk Management. These are classes that I imagine an MS IOE could get into if they wanted to. The few finance classes which they readily have available for MFE students which aren't for MS IOE students are in the same situation I believe. So, is there any specific deficiency in these classes, or the Michigan program in general?

Here's the actual MFE curriculum: Master of Science in Financial Engineering at Michigan Engineering

As well, I would like to ask, if I were an MS IOE who decided to follow as closely as possible the MFE, how would my employability prospects be compared to someone with an MFE? I ask because the MS IOE is a fair bit easier to get into than the MFE program.

For me the fact that the MFE program is harder to get into says alot.

It looks like the 2 programs share a number of core math/stat classes but the MFE has some foundational finance classes (ie Capital Markets & Investment Strategies). Also the MFE lets you customize with a concentration.

Why not just apply to both?

"but the MFE has some foundational finance classes (ie Capital Markets & Investment Strategies). Also the MFE lets you customize with a concentration."

But the IOE degree lets you take them as well, they're just not required. Also Financial Engineering is the concentration with IOE. I guess there's no more concentrated path than that, but that's all just a name. Someone going for a masters in IOE could take all but 2 (one of those three classes I previously mentioned IS actually open to MS IOE students) of the same classes as MFE students with no overrides or anything. And I'm betting they could get an override for the other two if they wanted to take them.

When it comes down to it, if I'm still feeling like I'm feeling now, I will apply to both, but I'm MUCH more likely to get into the IOE program than the MFE program. As a result, classes I will decide future classes I take as an undergrad around the likelihood of getting into either of these programs, with the placement of them. Looking at the classes I've taken I am also seeing that I could change my major without trouble.

I guess the big deal is the placement record, not the comparison between the two programs.

Back