• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which focus in PhD studies

Greetings guys,

this is my first post :)
I am a German physics student about to finish my M.Sc. and I intend to go into a phd program. I have found out about the world of quant finance and I read through articles almost every day. I am glad to have found a forum on this topic. I have a questions with respect to my area of phd studies:

I intend to do my phd in the field of applied mathematics:

option 1) numerical analysis and HPC

option 2) probability theory (with applications to finance)

option 3) statistics and machine learning

From reading lots of articles, I get the impression that option 3) would be more suited for quant trading, option 2) would be more suited for financial engineering / quant analyst jobs in a bank, and option 1)? To me, it looks like quant analysis jobs need a bit more numerical maths than quant traders. On the other hand, quant traders certainly need more programming skills or knowledge in HPC. So option 1) would be equally suited for both worlds.

Are these impressions correct?

Best regards,
SL

Back