Which GRE scores to send

Philip Chen

Hi, I just took my GRE today and about 3 weeks ago.

First scores Q: 167 and V: 155
Second scores Q: 168 and V: 150.

I tried getting a perfect quant score on my second try but did much worse on the verbal. I'm a US citizen and majored in math at a US school. I'm applying to all the top programs that are still open (CMU, Columbia, NYU, Chicago, etc.) My question is should I send both scores? Is the 150 negligible given I'm a US citizen? Thank you.

Last edited:

smiguel

If I were you, I would send the first ones. Its just one point in math vs 5 points in Verbal (+ you're a US citizen)

Onegin

C++ Student
I don't think anyone cares about the verbal. I got a perfect score on verbal, and asked two admissions folks at two top schools if that would make up for my less than perfect quant scores. Both laughed.

Philip Chen

I don't think anyone cares about the verbal. I got a perfect score on verbal, and asked two admissions folks at two top schools if that would make up for my less than perfect quant scores. Both laughed.
I also received chuckles when I asked about the verbal score
Do you mind sharing which school said that? I'm roaming through quantnet and feels like some schools value a higher gre score and some just care about quant

perspolis

I might be wrong, but isn't being a us citizen and yet getting 150 on verbal obviously a red flag? On the other hand, I don't think there's much difference between 167 and 168 on quant.