• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which School Should I Attend to?

Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well!

I have applied to MSQF at: Notre Dame (Indiana), Rochester (New York), Brandeis, NorthEastern, Babson (Boston), and Rutgers (New Jersey).

Any insights as to which school I need/should/perhaps HAVE to attend to if I get accepted?

I am mostly considering quality, reputation, and job-placements as my top priorities.
After that, location is pretty important for me, and I would like to move to Boston.

Thank you guys!

You applied to these schools, you should know why you applied to each one. This is something you’re going to have to answer on your own, especially given the programs you applied to aren’t ones many members here traditionally look at. My advice: (1) look at the courses you can take at each school, make mock schedules for yourself (these are niche programs, you should know what you’re wanting to get out of them academically), and then compare them and (2) look on the program websites at career services related info and do LinkedIn searches to see what alumni from these programs go on to do. I’d wait to give much thought to the “x or y: where should I go?” questions until you start hearing back.

Last edited:
It seems you said it yourself - 'location is important and you would like to move to Boston' - I'm off the mind that someone willing to put in the work and be responsible for their own experience will do well no matter where they are (within reason), and so if you have an over-arching personal reason to be somewhere, do it. I'm not overly familiar with the listed programs, but once you confirm the coursework is reasonably similar and the career prospects for any one of them are not far better than the rest, then it seems like a straightforward decision for you.

Thank you guys, I appreciate your comments! I know this forum is more relevant for computational/engineering finance, but it's still nice to read your opinions.

Back