• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Will taking GMAT hurt my application?

Hi everyone,

I have been at Quantnet quite a while now, but never posted before (didn't feel I had anything to contribute).

I just finished my second year of my three year bachelor's degree and I am intending to go to grad school after that, so I will have to apply to programs this winter and take the GMAT/GRE.

The problem is that I am not sure which test I should take. Most universities accept both (at least the ones I am planning to apply to) but almost all applicants take the GRE. Is there a reason for this? Since I am an international student the verbal section on the GRE is very hard for me (because it requires a very large vocabulary). I think I could do a lot better on the GMAT than on the GRE.

Will taking the GMAT instead of the GRE hurt my application?

Thanks

If you can only afford to take one then take the GRE. If you can afford to take both then do so. Some people are just better at one or the other. Get your scores and see which test places you further relative to the schools admittance stats.

Wait, a three year bachelor's degree. even before u take the exam make sure how many schools find this acceptable and which programs r fine with it; n then decide GRE vs GMAT. I guess it can be the main bottleneck in ur application..

revised GRE eliminated synonyms n antonyms...so there is no need to mug up the entir dictionary (or atleat Baron's word list)...but US graduate schools require 4 years of college

revised GRE eliminated synonyms n antonyms...so there is no need to mug up the entir dictionary (or atleat Baron's word list)...but US graduate schools require 4 years of college

Just to clarify what you mean (correct me if I'm wrong) : US schools look for a four year degree but not that you necessarily went to school for 4 years.

Thanks for all the replies!

From the replies it seems that GRE is the way to go, so that's what I'll do, thanks.

About the 4 years of college thing: I have never given it much thought, because I was let to believe that, even though our degree is 3 years instead of 4, they are equivalent because the first year of a US college degree is comparable to our last year in high school and we immediatly specialize by chosing the field in which we do the degree. But given all the reactions about the 3 years bachelor I'm beginning to doubt this... (I am from The Netherlands by the way)

Will the 3 years bachelors degree destroy my chances to get admitted to US grad school?

Any requirement for GRE AW?

Also, since English is not my first language, but I have completed four year undergraduate study in Canada, do I still have to take the TOFEL exam?

I know some schools do not requre that, but other schools, like Columbia, it says on the website that TOFEL scores are required for international student...

Thanks!

Please post your research about the 3 year vs 4 year requirement especially when applying to US schools.. i am trying to help my sister get into a program as well, she was a 3 yr undergrad and till now i am not able to find a good school indifferent to 3/4 yrs program as undergrads, they want 4 yrs after high-school to be considered seriously

Wait, a three year bachelor's degree. [...] I guess it can be the main bottleneck in ur application..
This cannot possibly the whole truth by the simple fact that UK unis are 3 year institutions. Unless US schools are still bitter about the war of 1812....

european countries like Germany, Sweden have 3-yr bachelors... Most of the places I've seen the 3 year degree mentioned, the school has specifically singled out "Indian 3 -year" degrees .. Not really sure why such discrepancy exists.

I have friends who have gotten into top 10 US engineering schools /MBA programs with their German/Swedish 3-yr bachelors.

Back