• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

WorldQuant University

What are people's general opinion on WorldQuant University's course? Has anyone on here tried it and what did you think? Do you think it would seem reputable to an employer?

^ I second this question. That said, it's new, so even if it is legit it will likely take a few years to build up a good reputation among employers

IT IS FREE!!! That is interesting lol
I would like to hear more about it too.

The course structure looks better than some of the top ranked MFE programs.

It seems like a good course. Might be lacking in specialized subjects such as Stochastic Calculus and Derivatives Pricing, but let's see

please, I am a microbiology graduate, so I have no good background knowledge of programming and others. But I've diverted my career plan to business, basically in business development and business consulting, that's why I applied for this online course. Hope I am qualified for this course? Can I make it successfully at the end? Meanwhile, I don't know if my application will be accepted. Advice me please! Help me with relevant information I may need to get myself ready and equipped with background knowledge. I need information, help, advice and materials to study.

Please have there been any graduate of this course at all? Have 2016 session graduated? Or is it yet to commence by 2017?

WorldQuant is sketchy as hell. Stay away. I wouldn't trust anything with their label on it.

They came to my campus with a representative. The "internship" opportunity they presented was essentially to develop trading algorithms from your own home, and submit it to them online. If they like it, they might extend you a job offer...or not.

I can only compare the rep's attitude towards the whole thing as comparable to someone who drank the pyramid scheme kool aid. Something was off.

Long time lurker but I figure this is as good a time as any to chime in. I actually just got accepted into the WorldQuant MSFE and will be starting in a few weeks. I already have a MS in Data Analytics so I already have a taste of machine learning and R language but have no finance training (traditional or otherwise) and aspire to be in a quant related role, if not an actual quant. Reading through the WQU catalog it appears as though they aspire to have pretty robust career services/recruitment efforts to assist students as well as a goal to place students at some big name organizations.

It's a lot to share in this post, but for anyone interested it's on page 29 of 58 in the catalog they posted on their site: https://wqu.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/WorldQuant-University-Catalog-Volume-2-1_10_17.pdf

Once I get into the swing of the coursework, I'd be more than happy to update or answer questions.

WorldQuant is a legit place however there is a high level of attrition among analysts & associates. I intervied with 'em some time ago and they throw some of the toughest math problems and even a MFE is hardly a prep for it. However, I wouldn't put any value on the WorldQuant University Program as content of the course is secondary to the brand equity of the granted diploma.

They came to my campus with a representative. The "internship" opportunity they presented was essentially to develop trading algorithms from your own home, and submit it to them online. If they like it, they might extend you a job offer...or not.

I can only compare the rep's attitude towards the whole thing as comparable to someone who drank the pyramid scheme kool aid. Something was off.

WorldQuant is a legit place however there is a high level of attrition among analysts & associates. I intervied with 'em some time ago and they throw some of the toughest math problems and even a MFE is hardly a prep for it. However, I wouldn't put any value on the WorldQuant University Program as content of the course is secondary to the brand equity of the granted diploma.

When you say you wouldn't put any value...as content is secondary -- Do you mean that WorldQuant's rep doesn't automatically add value or reputation to their MSFE program?

I'm not sure I follow exactly...

In terms of getting interview calls, it wouldn't have any benefit but it should be a good preparation before you enter a Quant degree program or to plug holes if you did a lightweight quant degree.

When you say you wouldn't put any value...as content is secondary -- Do you mean that WorldQuant's rep doesn't automatically add value or reputation to their MSFE program?

I'm not sure I follow exactly...

Last edited:
Long time lurker but I figure this is as good a time as any to chime in. I actually just got accepted into the WorldQuant MSFE and will be starting in a few weeks. I already have a MS in Data Analytics so I already have a taste of machine learning and R language but have no finance training (traditional or otherwise) and aspire to be in a quant related role, if not an actual quant. Reading through the WQU catalog it appears as though they aspire to have pretty robust career services/recruitment efforts to assist students as well as a goal to place students at some big name organizations.

It's a lot to share in this post, but for anyone interested it's on page 29 of 58 in the catalog they posted on their site: https://wqu.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/WorldQuant-University-Catalog-Volume-2-1_10_17.pdf

Once I get into the swing of the coursework, I'd be more than happy to update or answer questions.

I was recently accepted to the program, I have a degree in applied mathematics. please tell me how is the work load and how many course can you take at once.

Back