• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Zicklin vs. MFE?

Hi, first off this site is pretty awesome. I have gotten so much valuable info off this, I just hope I dont get fired for reading this too much. Anyways, just wanted to know if anyone knew some of the major career path differences one could expect between choosing the MFE program and Zicklins Quantitative Methods & Modeling MS? Not sure if this is the right forum for answers on this, but figured I would ask. Thanks for any insight into this.

My impression about that program (http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/gradprograms/ms_quan_methods.htm) is it just teaches you one or two courses from MBA/CSI/ECO/ACC/STAT. What is the focus of this program then ? Jack of all trade ?

If you want a career in quantitative finance, MFE is the best choice at the Master level. The career track is different, I believe. I don't know many graduates from that program to know the positions they obtain. Our graduates have a much better choice in term of positions where their skills are appreciated.

Definitely agree with Andy -- specially when he says that our program prepares students for a wide variety of courses.....

My first impression about the program you mentioned (http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/gradprograms/ms_quan_methods.htm) is that its more of a IT in Finance kind of a course..... As Andy mentioned I dont quiet understand the focus of the program.

Specifically for eg we have * A LOT * of C++ exposure -- both via formal coursework in C++ and via assignments in other subjects -- whereas its my understanding that C++ (which is one very important aspect of quantitative finance in general) is not a part of curriculum at Zicklin...
Similarily we have courses on stochastic calculus, another important aspect to quantitative finance in general, which is missing all toghether from the Zicklin course... Then again in the core courses, there is no course which exposure to derivatives in general.... On the other hand I completed a preety comprehensive course on introduction to finance, taking a course in structured finance, and will do a course in interest rate modeling next semester....

My take :-- I definitely like our program much better.....

Hope this helps :)

Really appreciate the feedback. I think there is no doubt that the MFE is a more rigorous and structured curriculum that prepares you specifically for the Quant Finance arena ten folds better. However, since 77% of applicants do get rejected I was just taking in possible backup solutions if I were to unfortunatelly fall with these masses. Zickin also also has a MS in stat's which offers a Stochastic class that includes markov chains, and Brownian motion, walks etc... (I am assuming not to the depth of what the MFE would go into tho) Also offers a couple OOP courses as requirements, but again in the end not really 100% sure what this degree really sets you up for when compared to the MFE.

http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/programs/graduate/ms/degrees/statistics.html

Thanks again for hearing me.

Just re-read my post and want to make clear that I am not cutting down Zicklins programs, or make it sound like the "easy way out" in any sense just saying that mathematically speaking have a better chance of gaining admission if MFE doesn't work out.

I plan on attending info sessions on both.

If you plane to go for an advanced degree and apply in finance related area or anyother areas then Zicklins' Quantitative Methods & Modeling MS will be better for you. It is like a bridge.

If you want to work in quantitative finance area and master degree will be your final degree, then MFE is for you.

I think I can comment on this :) since I have MS in the above mentioned QMM and now finishing my MS in FE.

MS in QMM, in my opinion, is mostly for those who already have jobs and need an extra quantitative boost. For example, they will teach you SAS and R, and you can surprise your boss by solving a problem in a more efficient way. QMM is good to have on top of MBA or MFE. So, if you have other degrees or work experience, QMM would be a plus.
One minus is that it is hard to find employment with just the QMM degree if you do job search on your own. QMM is Statistics + Operations Research + Computer Science, but its not a degree in any of those. So if you go look for jobs in any of the three fields, employers would rather pick someone with a degree in one of the above and not you :)

MS is FE is a different story with lots and lots of pluses that are discussed elsewhere on this forum :)

C++ classes

Hi,

I have a BBA in Accounting and a MBA in Finance, both from Baruch. I have close to 10 years of work experience at a major investment bank as a controller. I would like to take some C++ classes before applying to the MFE program since I have absolutely no programming experience. The prerequisite according to the Dept. of Math's website is 1 undersgrad class or a certificate.

My questions are:
(1) Is 1 undergrad class really good enough for giving me a better chance of being accepted to the program, and helping me get prepared for the rigorous course work?

(2) Or should I go for a certificate for example from the NYU School of Contiuing Education, which requires me to take 3 or 4 classes?

(3) Does anyone know of any good online courses in C++ ?

Thanks!

SC

(1) Is 1 undergrad class really good enough for giving me a better chance of being accepted to the program, and helping me get prepared for the rigorous course work?
I took 2 C++ courses undergrad, coded on and off for a while. Do I think I'm prepared for the level of programming at Baruch ? Absolutely not. I wish I knew more about C++.
You can take one course and meet the requirement but you will have a very hard time doing the C++ projects.
(2) Or should I go for a certificate for example from the NYU School of Contiuing Education, which requires me to take 3 or 4 classes?
I don't know how good the certificate program at NYU is. The more courses C++ you take, the better.
Buy some good C++ books and code like a madman everyday is the only thing to be good at C++. Online resource can be helpful for people with time constraint but as with everything else, you need lot of practice and feedback as you learn. Post questions in the programming forum here if you run into trouble.

Actually a past MFE student had completed the two C++ courses at NYU Continuing Ed and spoke very highly of the instructor, Mark Meretzky. If you can stay in for all four courses of the NYU C++ module it would take care of your programming deficiency as most people in the program are quite capable programmers, even if they are not proficient in C++.

Actually a past MFE student had completed the two C++ courses at NYU Continuing Ed and spoke very highly of the instructor, Mark Meretzky. If you can stay in for all four courses of the NYU C++ module it would take care of your programming deficiency as most people in the program are quite capable programmers, even if they are not proficient in C++.

to follow up on Gus's heads up on Mr. Meretzky, this latter maintains a very useful web site, http://i5.nyu.edu/~mm64/, which can be useful for self-study of C++.

Thanks!

SC

Andy outlined very correctly that the best way to learn a language is indeed to buy some books and just program a lot...

The books that I always recommend are

-- step 1 Read (and solve!) Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel Volume 1...There is a second volume as well but its about more advanced features.. some of the really nice features of the book are
1) The easiest book for beginners covering all the concepts in C++ in the "appropiate" amount of depth explained at a "good (which usually means slow)" pace....
2) Really nice and relevant examples
3) A very well compiled probelm set.

there is an electronic version available for free over the internet for both volumes (http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html)

-- step 2 Effective C++ by Scott Meyers : A second level book in the sense that it does not "tell" you the basics, but still a must read in the sense that you never "understand" the basics in C++ unless you read the book... This one also has a second volume (more effective C++)..

sp

Back