• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

URGENT: UCLA MFE. Worth it for a fresher?

Hi! I need some honest advice. I am a recent graduate of economics and math, and I'm very confused between 2 courses, i.e. Duke Fuqua's MQM: Business Analytics (Finance Track) and UCLA Anderson MFE. I don't have finance work experience but have a basic foundation only. I thought about doing an MS Finance only but I've heard most of the competitive positions are taken by QuantFin graduates as opposed to just MS finance folks. I've heard UCLA's MFE is generic when compared to other MFE programs (I might be wrong) and is also ranked in QS' master's finance rankings. Will it still be very technical for me? Is it just like MS Finance with more numbers? I'm also not too sure about what I want to do in the future. Is there anything I can do to make the decision process easier? I kinda fear taking a huge loan for UCLA MFE and then later finding the course too difficult and intensive as I do not possess strong programming skills. The program starts in September so I have a good 4 full months to prepare for it. Also, Duke starts in July - hence I need to make a decision at the earliest as there is hardly any time left. I do understand that I'm very confused but your advice and recommendations would mean the world to me right now. Thank you so much!!

Hi! I need some honest advice. I am a recent graduate of economics and math, and I'm very confused between 2 courses, i.e. Duke Fuqua's MQM: Business Analytics (Finance Track) and UCLA Anderson MFE. I don't have finance work experience but have a basic foundation only. I thought about doing an MS Finance only but I've heard most of the competitive positions are taken by QuantFin graduates as opposed to just MS finance folks. I've heard UCLA's MFE is generic when compared to other MFE programs (I might be wrong) and is also ranked in QS' master's finance rankings. Will it still be very technical for me? Is it just like MS Finance with more numbers? I'm also not too sure about what I want to do in the future. Is there anything I can do to make the decision process easier? I kinda fear taking a huge loan for UCLA MFE and then later finding the course too difficult and intensive as I do not possess strong programming skills. The program starts in September so I have a good 4 full months to prepare for it. Also, Duke starts in July - hence I need to make a decision at the earliest as there is hardly any time left. I do understand that I'm very confused but your advice and recommendations would mean the world to me right now. Thank you so much!!
I don’t think either makes sense considering you don’t know what you want to do. You’re very likely to end up on a path that you hate and have spent money and time to get there.

Back