• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin 2011 MIT MFin Placement Report

The 30K salary for international students cannot meet the prevailing wage when filing H1B LCA. Doubt about the number.

I think the best way to look at the MIT MSF is to ask yourself if it is worth a $20-30K premium compared to other MSF programs. If you are a US student, looking to get into banking or trading, I cannot think of another program that will consistently put up those kind of placement stats. Now considering that this site tends to be more MFE/MSCF focused, the MIT program might not be what you are interested in. I think the Princeton program is more in line with quant goals and interests.

Just another quick comment for those interpreting the salary figures. There are 20% of students from that class that went into investment banking. The base salary is not a very good indicator of their actual earnings for the year.

that's pretty standard for reports of this type. most have disclaimers that say as much.

I'm somewhat confused by the people saying that these are poor placement stats. I opened the PDF expecting to see a disaster...but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The placement companies seem good and the acceptances by functional area also seem pretty good. Ibanking, consulting, S&T, Quant/Trading, Research, Investment Management and "other" (which includes VC and PE) - all of which are front office roles - make up the lions share of positions. Even the salaries, which are less than stellar (for foreign students), seem in line with the market given the lower levels of experience for the candidates.

Am I missing something?

I don't think you're missing anything. Maybe we're both crazy, but this is the only place I've come across with bad things to say about MIT's placement. The only explanation I can come up with is that quants are only interested in dollars with no fundamental understanding of the world, or there's some sort of mob mentality after the first person critiqued the numbers. Everyone I know is impressed by the employment report.

Full disclosure: I am an enrolled MIT student.

Back