• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A question on passing arrays by reference - thinking loud!

Hi all,

I have written a C++ program that passes an array of 10 EuropeanOptions, by reference to a function intrinsicValues(). The call and the function definition is as below.

The first argument to instrinsicValues(), EuropeanOption (&opt) [10] can be understood as, reference to EuropeanOption[10].

Now, references in C++ are like constant pointers that are automatically dereferenced. So, why can't the compiler be happy with EuropeanOption& myOpt? Ultimately, all I need is a handle to myOpt in memory to access the array. Or that's just standard C++ syntax?

C++:
class EuropeanOption
{
public:
    double sigma, r, S, T, K;
    char type;

EuropeanOption()
    {
        S = 100; T = 1; r = 0.10; sigma = 0.05; K = 100; type = 'C';
    }
};

C++:
//We can create an array of instances
    EuropeanOption myPortfolio[10];

for (int j = 0; j < 10; j++)
    {
        myPortfolio[j].K = 105 - j;
        myPortfolio[j].print();
    }

intrinsicValues(myPortfolio,10);

C++:
void intrinsicValues(EuropeanOption (&opts) [10], int size)
{
    double value = 0;
    for (int i = 0; i < size; i++)
    {
        if (opts[i].type == 'C')
        {
            value = (opts[i].S >= opts[i].K ? opts[i].S - opts[i].K : 0);
            std::cout << "Intrinsic value = " << value << std::endl;
        }

if (opts[i].type == 'P')
        {
            value = (opts[i].S <= opts[i].K ? opts[i].K - opts[i].S : 0);
            std::cout << "Intrinsic value = " << value << std::endl;
        }
    }
}

I think it is just syntax. It is clarifying to the compiler that you want to pass a reference to an array, rather than an array of references

i.e.
C++:
void intrinsicValues(EuropeanOption &opts[10])
This is illegal as it is an array of references.

C++:
void intrinsicValues(EuropeanOption (&opts)[10])
This is clear - it is a reference to a size 10 array of EuropeanOptions.

EuropeanOption &myOpt to me looks like "reference to a single EuropeanOption" and I wouldn't expect code to compile if I pass arrays of EuropeanOption into it.

Last edited:
By the way, you probably know this but you can just take EuropeanOption [] (or EuropeanOption *) to pass an array of any length and this is done automatically via pointer so you don't need to worry about copying overhead.

Or use std::vector &

By the way, you probably know this but you can just take EuropeanOption [] (or EuropeanOption *) to pass an array of any length and this is done automatically via pointer so you don't need to worry about copying overhead.

Or use std::vector &

Yeah, I find the pointer/array syntax more friendly.

I am yet to learn vectors. Exciting time. Also, I learnt that C++ has very strict type checking and how the C++ compiler does constant folding - that is it evaluates constant expressions at compile time and does not allocate storage to constants.

Further, I now know about anonymous(temporary) objects. At one place, I had written

C++:
Complex z = z1 * z2

But, I missed writing const in the function arguments to operator =().

C++:
Complex& Complex::operator =(Complex& z)

should really be

C++:
Complex& Complex::operator =(const Complex& z)

While I read in theory, that temporary objects such as (z1 * z2) are const, I learnt it the hard way! The best way to learn is to practice and practice and practice! :)

Yeah, I find the pointer/array syntax more friendly.

I am yet to learn vectors. Exciting time. Also, I learnt that C++ has very strict type checking and how the C++ compiler does constant folding - that is it evaluates constant expressions at compile time and does not allocate storage to constants.

Further, I now know about anonymous(temporary) objects. At one place, I had written

C++:
Complex z = z1 * z2

But, I missed writing const in the function arguments to operator =().

C++:
Complex& Complex::operator =(Complex& z)

should really be

C++:
Complex& Complex::operator =(const Complex& z)

While I read in theory, that temporary objects such as (z1 * z2) are const, I learnt it the hard way! The best way to learn is to practice and practice and practice! :)
I just want to point out that Complex c = c1*c2; calls the copy constructor, not the assignment operator.

I just want to point out that Complex c = c1*c2; calls the copy constructor, not the assignment operator.

Gee yeah!! I read it up online. Thanks!! :)

C++:
Complex c1(3.0,4.0);
Complex c2(5.0,12.0);

c2 = c1; //Akin to c2.operator=(c1)
Complex c3 = c1; //Akin to c3(c1) - calls copy constructor

Back