• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A roadmap to Quantitative Researcher position at Verition

The following advice is from Peter Lind who recently started as a Quant Researcher at Verition in their London location. This is one of the most coveted positions by MFE students. The link to his post on LinkedIn is at the bottom.
As you can see, this is something that requires patience, dedication and persistence over a period of time.

𝗔𝗱𝘃𝗶𝗰𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗮𝘀𝗽𝗶𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘀𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀:
For those aspiring to break into the quant finance industry, I’d like to share some reflections and advice based on my own experience. While I’m not an expert, I hope you find these resources helpful.

1. 𝘐𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸 𝘗𝘳𝘦𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯:
• Key resources for technical interview prep:
📚 "A Practical Guide To Quantitative Finance Interviews" by Xinfeng Zhou (The Green Book) – Essential for practice.
📚 "150 Most Frequently Asked Questions on Quant Interviews" by Radoš Radoičić, Tai-Ho Wang, and Dan Stefanica – Covers common interview questions.
📚 "Probability and Stochastic Calculus: Quant Interview Questions" by Ivan Matić, Radoš Radoičić, Dan Stefanica – Focuses on probability and stochastic processes.

• YouTube Channels:
🎥 AtypicalQuant
🎥 The Elite Prep

2. 𝘉𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘍𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘴:
📘Probability: "A First Course in Probability" by Sheldon Ross
📘Linear Algebra: "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang (+ his online course)
📘Statistics: "Statistics and Data Analysis for Financial Engineering" by David Ruppert and David S. Matteson.
• Key Option Theory Books:
📘 "Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives" by John C. Hull
📘 "Arbitrage Theory in Continuous Time" by Tomas Björk
📘 "Stochastic Calculus for Finance I and II" by Steven Shreve
📘 "Option Volatility and Pricing: Advanced Trading Strategies and Techniques" by Sheldon Natenberg
🎥 Computational Finance by Lech Grzelak

3. 𝘚𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘻𝘦𝘥 𝘉𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘴:
• "The Volatility Surface: A Practitioner’s Guide" by Jim Gatheral – A deep dive into volatility surfaces.
• "Modern Computational Finance: AAD and Parallel Simulations" by Antoine Savine
• "Tools for Computational Finance" by Rüdiger U. Seydel

4. 𝘕𝘰𝘯-𝘛𝘦𝘤𝘩𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭 𝘉𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘴:
• Broaden your perspective with industry-relevant literature:
- "Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Taleb
- "My Life as a Quant" by Emanuel Derman

5. 𝘊𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘌𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵:
• Consider institutions offering specialized programs (I highly recommend the Baruch MFE program).
• Being in a financial hub like New York offers invaluable exposure and networking opportunities.

6. 𝘖𝘱𝘦𝘯 𝘢 𝘉𝘳𝘰𝘬𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘈𝘤𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵:
• Hands-on experience is crucial. Start trading to understand market dynamics better.

7. 𝘒𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘠𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧:
• Leverage your strengths. For me, it’s a mix of business knowledge, interpersonal skills, finance, mathematics, and programming.

8. 𝘚𝘦𝘦𝘬 𝘈𝘥𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘦:
• Don’t hesitate to reach out to industry professionals. But ensure you’ve done your homework to make the conversation meaningful.

Best of luck on your journey into the world of quant finance! 🌟

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back