• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice on application and schools/programs to apply to

PaVar

seeking help
I do not need advice on this anymore. My thanks to maxrum and bigbadwolf.

I am guilty of many an amateur post, so I am not one to judge. But if you want to solicit useful information your going to have to slow it down; break this nervous rant down into 900 simple questions, 899 of the answers can be found in other threads.

I don't mean to be offensive, but I'm going to have to guess Bipolar?

Good luck

1. What do you think of my overall candidature for the programs I am interested in?

We don't evaluate profiles here. You can check websites of programs you are interested in to see backgrounds of admitted students.

2.a. With regards my GPA (3.21) - which is an eternal source of regret to me - would my application for the best schools be a moot exercise?

No, just made the case that you fit the program despite low GPA.

2.b. Should I try to explain my GPA in an addendum to my Statement of Purpose?

Definitely.

2.c. How should I try to make up for my GPA beyond just listing my other qualifications

Show that you are well qualified because of your math/programming/finance knowledge. Whatever you can address.

2.d. Would it make a difference to submit a supplemental transcript with my grades from the distance learning courses I will have taken by the end of the year?

I don't think anyone will be interested in transcripts. But you should definitely mention in your application all related classes you've taken.

3. If you are aware of other very good Master's programs in the mathematical sciences - in the US or overseas - could you please advise me on them?

You said that you have already 14 in your mind. Applying to only one program is a lot of work. Making 14 solid applications will be very tough. If you just copy and paste your essays, references etc from one application to another it won't work in most cases.

4. Going back to 2 (Sorry!), is there any hope!?

Yes. Check admission stats on the web. You will see that some students were admitted with GPA below 3.0. Therefore, you have a chance.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot maxrum, I appreciate your input - they are useful answers.

CGiuliano - no bipolar here. We should remember this is a forum on quant finance, not psychology. So even as I have an urge to bring you down a couple of pegs, all I will say is that it was my first post here, it contained 7 questions, and yes, I must say I am nervous about the application process.

I don't think you will be accepted into a math program at Oxbridge. Cambridge has a Part 3 (and not a "master's"), while Oxford may have a taught master's but I'm not aware of one. Even if accepted into Cambridge, you won't be able to hack it. The reason for telling you this is so that you don't waste effort applying to these places. On the other hand, you may have luck one tier down, with places like Southampton, Bristol, some of the London colleges (UCL, LSE, King's QMW), and Durham. These are still strong universities.

If you don't get admitted into the MFE program of your choice, a case can be made for approaching FE more obliquely by taking a master's in applied math, concentrating on stochastic, PDEs, operations research, and numerical analysis, and then maybe going on to a Ph.D. Frankly I think the strong MFEs are force-feeding too much in too short a time, and I wonder how much of it is assimilated once the projects and exams are over. So a case can be made for a more leisurely approach to the subject matter.

Thank you for the response bigbadwolf. As I mentioned, I definitely am considering a Master's in Applied Mathematics if it can come from a top university (US, Canada, UK). For such a degree, the only weakness of my application would be my less than average 3.21 GPA, but for a top MFE it seems both my GPA and work experience will be disadvanatges.

When you say I won't be able to hack it, could you explain why you think that would be the case? The shortcomings of my mathematics background? Or did something in my description of my candidature indicate a lack of aptitude? The former can be remedied, the latter probably not (but I don't see why the latter can be the case with my test scores, especially if I also add an exceptional GMAT score). It would be great to know for the purpose of both choosing appropriate schools and constructing my applications.

I am looking at Imperial College London and London School of Economics, but I don't have an interest in colleges such as Durham, SouthHampton, etc. In place of such second-tier UK schools, I'd rather attend second-tier US schools.

Let's see where my research takes me. Honestly, I'd really like to get a Master's in Mathematics (with a concentration in analysis, differentials, stochastics), but a MFE seems to offer a much clearer path to financial jobs (when only non-doctoral degrees are being considered). I am even considering a Master's in Finance, with emphasis on asset management or something similar...something that would lead to an investment banking job, even as it disqualifies me for hedge funds and the like. This **** is so confusing. You go one way thinking it's the right way to go, but then two years later you realize you should have done something different. Like I chose actuarial science for my undergrad, but after graduating realized I should have gone with mathematics and a minor in finance instead.

Thanks again for your help!

Back