Advice on Starting a Basic Paper Trading Organization Using Elementary Quant Techniques

Hey QuantNet,

I appreciate anybody who takes the time to read through this post. I have a feeling this community is very interwoven and dedicated, so I'm excited for any advice you guys can give me.

I'm an upcoming junior studying Applied Mathematics. I am looking to start an organization that focuses on paper trading modeling techniques for publicly traded companies at a VERY accessible and elementary level. I am thinking of something similar to TD Ameritrade's Market Trading Tactics Workshop (https://wwws.tdameritradeconferences.com/workshops/register/details.asp?EC=20071108A&SN=2).

I would guess that finding a user-friendly paper trading platform is a great start. Do you guys know of anything cheap and/or free that would gravitate to novice students at the undergraduate level consisting of those with majors in business, computer science, or mathematics?

I was also wondering if you guys knew of any resources, books, interactive tutorials, etc. that can help students learn and practice basic quantitative approaches to their trades. I've looked into the great recommended reading lists on this website but I found it difficult to figure out which was relevant to my interests. It would need to be something that doesn't require a graduates' level of competence. I'm mainly looking for a way to get the students some exposure to thinking like a quant and learning to balance the spectrum of behavioral finance, emotional tendencies, and mathematical interpretation.

My ideas for this organization are in its infancy. I can envision us doing events such as paper trading competitions where students come up with their own buy/sell formulas and are rewarded cash-prizes, invitations to hear professional speakers, mentor/shadowing portieres, and more. If the organization kicks off there could be some sponsors as well.

Any other concerns or recommendations you guys have are greatly appreciated!

-DrXfactr

appreciate anybody who takes the time to read through this post. I have a feeling this community is very interwoven and dedicated, so I'm excited for any advice you guys can give me.

I was also wondering if you guys knew of any resources, books, interactive tutorials, etc. that can help students learn and practice basic quantitative approaches to their trades.

Any other concerns or recommendations you guys have are greatly appreciated!

-DrXfactr[/quote]

hi Dr. X,

There're free paper accounts available at cboe.com (in Tools menu) where you can trade most high volume securities going from stocks, to options/futures listed off CME and CFE.

here're some tutorials for basis quantitative analysis in Excel:
http://matdays.blogspot.com/2012/11/excel-data-analysis-10-basic.html

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom