• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Affidavit of support

Hello everybody,

I was admitted to the program and extremely happy and exited because of this event.

I am an international student and I read on the forum that I should show significant amount of money on the account.
I live with my uncle who is the American citizen. If he signs affidavit of support can I show less sum on the account? What is the whole procedure of taking I-20 form and student status?
Thank you for the reply in advance.

Congratulations, Vadim
I'm excited for you as well ;)
As for the amount to show, you must show at least that amount. Even your uncle sponsors you, it does not reduce the amount required to issue I-20. However, you can ask your uncle to co-sign loans for you.
Since you are US-based, as soon as you complete the paper, you will receive the I-20 form from Baruch. I would suggest that you stop by the ISSC office sometimes and get them to answer your specific questions.

You can get form I-134 downloaded from USCIS.GOV. Follow the instruction of the form and notarized it after finish. I am afraid that your uncle has to show the evidence that he afford to cover all your expenses during study...which includes his paycheck stub for the past three months, bank statement...you are still Internatioanl Student even if you don't have other legal status here (permenant resident, H1, F2, H4....)
As Andy said, the best way to do is to stop by ISSC (though I doubt they can give you clear info or not), but just do what they require you to do.
Good Luck.

Thank you for the responses.
I will show the whole amount in this case. I will come to something in a week.

yes as an international student you have to show the whole amount.

If you are already inside US, then don't worry about that too much.
As long as you can bring proof of financial support that meet the minimum requirement set by Baruch, then you are fine.
But if you are outside US, and will need to get a visa to enter US then it is a different story.

This info could be useful for some other admitted students.
It is necessary to show 57800 on the account.
In case a student has Affidavit of free room and board (a simple letter from relatives) that amount is 26800.

How long will it take to get I-20 form? The new status be valid from June – July, when refresh courses start, or from September?

Very good to hear that, Vadim. Thanks for sharing.
You should point that the sponsor does not have to be a relative, any US citizen/PR can write Affidavit of support detailing which they will cover (room, board, tuition, etc)

You can come to Baruch and pickup the I-20. It should take 1-2 weeks. Come and bug them till you get it. The semester starts Aug 27th this year. Probably that will be the same on your I-20.

What is the exact length of the program? Does anybody have I-20 form? Can you check the start and the end days?
I need that to fill out I-539 form. "I request that my current or requested status be extended until ..."
What is Baruch 9-digit ID number? How I can get I.N.S Admission?

Sorry for many questions :).

the exact length is 3 semesters (not counting Summer)
If you enter as Fall 2007, your estimated graduation date should be Fall 2008 --> Jan. 2009.
And usually, it will have 1 year extra. So, you should see somewhat like: Start; Aug. 2007, End, Dec 2009 or Jan 2010

I am answering question I posted myself, because this information might be useful for some international students. According to International Student Service Center, the exact length of the program is 08/27/2007 - 08/13/2009.
The answer to the question "I request that my current status be extended until" on the I-539 form should be 08/13/2009.
What is Baruch 9-digit ID number? See the question bellow. It is SSN.

The only thing that contradicts ISSC is that according to ISSC I should pay SEVIS fee before ISSC issues I-20. On the Department of Homeland Security - Form I-901 Application - Instructions website it is said that I cannot pay fee until I know the number of I-20.

Back