• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Application window for UK Graduates

Hi All,

I'm starting an MSc in Statistics at a UK university in October 2022, graduating in September 2023. I will be applying to entry-level Quantitative Research positions, what time of year do most firms advertise roles they're targeting for September 2023 start? (I have found a few graduate schemes currently being advertised but they either seem to be for 2022 or without a clear start date).

Thanks,
micawberw

Amsterdam trading firms usually open around mid September for August intake of following year.
Thanks, as a follow up does anyone have an example time line for UK/EU West quant grad job applications? My experience with internships a couple of years ago was about 1-2 months from initial application to final round interview/offer, could anyone else share their experience?

Thanks, as a follow up does anyone have an example time line for UK/EU West quant grad job applications? My experience with internships a couple of years ago was about 1-2 months from initial application to final round interview/offer, could anyone else share their experience?
I guess that depends on the company. Again for the Amsterdam firms that I am familiar with, the whole process is usually quite fast - typically less than a month from initial application. In general I'd recommend applying early as candidates are moved through the process on a continuous basis and applications close when the positions are filled.

I guess that depends on the company. Again for the Amsterdam firms that I am familiar with, the whole process is usually quite fast - typically less than a month from initial application. In general I'd recommend applying early as candidates are moved through the process on a continuous basis and applications close when the positions are filled.
Have a related question. If I was rejected in February and the company asked me to wait for a year before reapplying, should I really wait for a year or is it okay to apply now since this is a new recruitment year?

You can definitely try.

However if you can somehow get a referral/directly get your CV passed to the Hiring Manager from any contact in the firm, then you’re definitely getting an interview (if you are qualified ofcourse).

You can definitely try.

However if you can somehow get a referral/directly get your CV passed to the Hiring Manager from any contact in the firm, then you’re definitely getting an interview (if you are qualified ofcourse).
Speaking from the perspective of trading firms again - maybe this is different for banks. I don't recommend reaching out to employees you don't personally know with the aim of asking for a referral. It would be a pretty broken system if reaching out to the hiring manager somehow allows you to side-step parts of the selection process or give you an advantage in it. To me its always a bit of a red flag if someone I don't know hits me up on LInkedIn and asks for a referral straight away. Even more so if they are doing the same with my colleagues. Yes - people talk. For competitive graduate positions, there are typically significantly more than 100 applications. While some filtering happens already on the resume stage (e.g. based on GPA), most candidates with a good profile proceed to the online test. A referral only really matters for a borderline candidates with concerns around cultural fit during the later stages. A referrer who doesn't really know you doesn't help and wouldn't want to vouch for you.

@quantecon : Just reach out to the recruiters and ask them if they would consider a re-application at this time. Explain why you feel you improved in the areas that you didn't do well in during your first application.

Last edited:
You can definitely try.

Yes @CrossGamma, the above is based on my experience with the banks.

Since the firms usually have a policy for application (usually once per academic year), you are not allowed to apply for any other role. It is built-in their application software, i.e. you won’t be able to re-apply using the same email ID which you used for the past application and were unsuccessful.

Last edited:
Back