• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Are MFE programs suitable for people who are already working in a Quant role

Hello everyone
I am a 2022 graduate from an IIT in India, and started working in an Indian start-up HFT as a Quant since my graduation. The work has been amazing, we mostly focus on the National Stock Exchange(NSE, India) and develop a wide range of algorithms for it. I have been able to contribute significantly in my first year, in developing and optimising existing algorithms. I love this field, and I want to try out other companies, where I can grow more. I want to explore different markets around the world.
Currently, my plan is try to get into a MFE program for 2024 fall, with 2 years of work experience as Quant and then apply to other top Finance firms in the US for a similar position. But sometimes, my mind asks if it is worth spending time and money doing an MFE, instead I could use the same 1-2 years to gain more experience as a Quant and become one of the founding members in my existing company.
I can directly apply to other Quant firms, but we have a non-compete clause in the offer letter, which says I have to wait for an year after leaving my company to apply to a different company.
Please help me decide which is a better path in my case. Let me know if I can provide any more details to make it clear?

There are always pro and con to each approach.
Obviously, the work experience is much more valuable than a lot of things you learn in the classroom setting since you may work on some bleeding edge product or technology at work that are years ahead of whatever you learn in the classroom.
On the other hand, some programs that provide up-to-date topics with practitioners teaching the courses. This is a great way to keep up with the field and learn from people doing it.

You have to do a cost analysis and see how much each opportunity works for you. It's different if you are working on Wall street and can go to part-time courses at night to update your skillset. It's another thing if you have to quit your good job in India and go to the US for MFE. It's a cost and loss of income.

My personal advice from what you wrote is it seems it may be good for you to keep working a few more years, build some saving and experience. You will become a better candidate to MFE programs the more experience you have.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

Back