• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

ASA Actuary to Quant Finance?

Hi everyone,

Long story short, I got my ASA and decided to pursue a career in quantitative finance instead of actuarial because I really enjoy coding and technical work. I have three years of actuarial experience on various teams.

I'm pursuing a master's in financial mathematics, starting in a week.

I am wondering if I should bother putting my ASA on my resume / beside my name anymore, and also how actuarial work experience / designations are viewed by quantitative finance employers.

Thanks!

You have a tremendous opportunity here. Frequently people in your situation will hide this information to appear like a "normal candidate".

But why not look for that niche job that requires ASA and quant skills? I've heard of JD MFEs getting some crazy salaries landing pretty rare jobs that require legal and quant skills. I wonder if you can do the same.

Side note; I hosted an event last week where our key speaker was an actuary who got an Investment Banking gig at Citi because they were looking for an analyst with "insurance skills"...

You have a tremendous opportunity here. Frequently people in your situation will hide this information to appear like a "normal candidate".

But why not look for that niche job that requires ASA and quant skills? I've heard of JD MFEs getting some crazy salaries landing pretty rare jobs that require legal and quant skills. I wonder if you can do the same.

Side note; I hosted an event last week where our key speaker was an actuary who got an Investment Banking gig at Citi because they were looking for an analyst with "insurance skills"...

Exactly. Always leverage your unique and unique background. Cookie cutter graduates (including PhD's) with no unique edge don't get hired or don't make it to senior roles. Great opportunity here. You can transition into ALOT of roles.

Wow, I am overwhelmed with the positive responses I have gotten! I was worried that my work experience and designation, although I worked very hard for them, would not benefit me. I now have a lot more confidence going into this field knowing I may have a competitive edge.

Thanks everyone!

Back