• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Interview Preparation

So I've just finished Prof. Stefanica's Primer for the Mathematics of Financial Engineering, which I found to be a great financial mathematics refresher. Nothing over the top content-wise, just a review of concepts that should be familiar to a typical Baruch MFE applicant.

I now opened his Linear Algebra Primer for Financial Engineering. My first impression is that this book goes way beyond what one may be asked on an interview. What I mean is that in the 150 Most Frequently Asked Questions on Quant Interviews book, most linear algebra questions focus on such basic concepts as eigenvectors/eigenvalues, determinants, definiteness of matrices, correlation/covariance matrices, etc. In the Linear Algebra Primer, though, I can see entire chapters devoted to things I've never heard of (particularly chapters on LU decomposition and Cholesky decomposition).

So the question really is whether I need to prepare these topics for the interview. Or maybe the remaining time would be better spent on brushing up my knowledge of C++?

Back