• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Best Masters for Discretionary Quant Trading?

Trying to break into the more discretionary side of QT (think more SIG, Optiver and less Jump, Tower) and wondering what's the best masters for that purpose. Currently debating between: Imperial MathFin, Oxford MCF & Cambridge Part III Stats

I heard Part III is quite tough and I'm not that interested in Stats, but it seems to be a more favoured degree by firms. Wondering if that's true/I should be considering degrees with more Stats focus (e.g. Imperial Math&Stats Fin)? Are MathFin courses with no Stats emphasis considered less favourably even for more discretionary QT roles?

Other question I had was related to the value of Imperial vs Oxbridge brand - I heard Imperial’s MathFin course is also very highly regarded, but is it worth picking Oxbridge just for the name (fwiw my undergrad was at Oxbridge)? Frankly I'm based in London & Imperial would be much less hassle so I hope that's not the case!

What was your undergrad in? I'd say go for Part III IF you think you can get a 1st or a decent 2.1, but if you don't care for stats then I'd pick whichever of the other two programs looks the most interesting. When you hit grad school interest starts to feed into ability and outcome more, I think it's best to begin to play to your strengths- though breadth is always good.

I know a guy graduating from MathFin who's got a top gig this summer, not at a firm you mentioned but at the same level or higher. It's a very well regarded program. If you want to stay in the UK, it is hard to go wrong with those three.

By 'those three' I mean the combo of the standard Oxbridge + MathFin programs. I wouldn't go to Math&Stats Fin just because MathFin exists and is kinda the go-to.

What was your undergrad in? I'd say go for Part III IF you think you can get a 1st or a decent 2.1, but if you don't care for stats then I'd pick whichever of the other two programs looks the most interesting. When you hit grad school interest starts to feed into ability and outcome more, I think it's best to begin to play to your strengths- though breadth is always good.

I know a guy graduating from MathFin who's got a top gig this summer, not at a firm you mentioned but at the same level or higher. It's a very well regarded program. If you want to stay in the UK, it is hard to go wrong with those three.

By 'those three' I mean the combo of the standard Oxbridge + MathFin programs. I wouldn't go to Math&Stats Fin just because MathFin exists and is kinda the go-to.
Thanks Mike - yeah my first thoughts too. My undergrad was maths at Cambridge (first) but didn’t find the stats courses too interesting.

If the marginal utility of picking Oxbridge over MathFin isn’t that high then I guess it makes more sense to go with my gut/interest?

Well, Part III definitely carries more weight. If you really couldn't bear the probability material, then that it makes sense to go where you'll be invested in what is covered.

But since you've got a first in maths from Cambridge already I'd honestly try and get in after undergrad if you can. You already know more than most MFE grads, and most masters grads in the US. It also does give you more leeway in where to get the grad degree- you could go to an obviously non-top school and your pedigree still looks better than most from a non-top undergrad and a target masters. You'll be fine in any of these three options, just go with your gut/interest.

Back