• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Breaking into Quant Trading from ~1 year in IB

Hi Andy and Community,

I've seen many extremely helpful posts on the forum and wanted to seek your insights on my case.

My background:
- Graduated with Math and Stats major in a US top 10 university 2 years ago, did several Stats modeling projects (Bayesian) and a semester Quant research with my Math prof
- Worked in IB (M&A) at a BB in HK for ~1 year
- Applying for MFE & Stats programs this fall to break into Quant
- US resident

I've always been interested in Math and modeling, and aftering doing IB in Asia I realized I want to do something more "mathy" with more scientific modeling. But the issue is I haven't done a quant or trading internship and heard people talking about how extremely demanding Quant jobs are in terms of trading experience and IQ. I start to get a sense that Quant is for a small group of extremely gifted people and you're either one of them or not. While the idea of trading and mathematically rigorous modeling excites me and I'm comfortable with probability, I only want to get into something I have a decent shot in. So I want to get your opinion on how I can gauge if Quant (buyside/sellside) is for me.

Also I'm seeing some worrying placement stats in some top MFE programs this year (less HC and lower % going to buyside), some say that the job market is still going to be down in 2 years. Curious to hear your thoughts on that.

Thank you very much!:)

For quant trading, to gauge your strengths and see whether you would like to prepare for it, you can try out the following -
1. Try out mental maths - zeta mac, tradermaths.org - check out optiver's zap-n and akuna's 80 in 8 tests. See if you enjoy it. You will have to practice these a lot and become really good at these.
2. Probability - Expectations and Puzzles. A very good command over EV based problems is a must. Check out green book, quantable etc
3. Market making games - These are asked in tandem with probability puzzles. You will have to play a game, build strategies, calculate expectations to place bets and find arbitrage. Check out trader maths.

Irrespective of individual's background or mfe program, a quant trader interview consists of 5-6 rounds between the above 3 topics.

Back