• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Breaking into the quant space as a non-target, average GPA undergrad

Hey guys, I'm currently a junior Applied Math major at a large public school (think Penn State, Rutgers, Ohio State). Beyond the fact that I'm at a non-target, I also have a pretty lackluster GPA for the quant world - a 3.4 to be precise. I kinda messed up my sophomore year; sorta lost my way. Here are the grades for my relevant courses, as well as the courses I am taking right now:

Multivariable Calculus - A
Linear Algebra - A
Ordinary Differential Equations - A-
Probability Theory - A-
Statistical Inference - A
Discrete Math - B
Numerical Analysis - B-
Advanced Linear Algebra - C+
Linear Optimization and Polytopes - F (P/F class)
Computer Programming with Java - A
Data Analysis with R - P (P/F class)

Currently taking:
Graduate Regression Analysis
Mathematics of Machine Learning
Python for Mathematical Computing

To take:
One or Two of Real Analysis, PDEs, Mathematical Finance, or Statistical Computing (Which one(s) would you suggest I take?)

Beyond this, I currently have an internship offer for the Summer of 2023 as a Data Analytics Intern for a Fortune 100; currently waiting on the second round for a prop trading firm (not quite quant).

I also have a research assistantship under my belt where I used R and Excel for statistical and network analysis.

Are there any tips you guys could give me to maximize my job potential? I naturally realize I have limitations with my non-target school and my GPA (I can probably get it to a 3.6), and do not expect to get roles at the top firms. Are there any specific quant jobs that I have a better chance of getting?

Thank you for reading my post.

Back