• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career/School Advice for Increasing my Odds

Hi there,

Brief Summary about me:

Current Undergrad (Junior): Materials Science and Engineering with a minor in math, 3.85 GPA, at your average big US state school

Internship Experience: I worked for a respected engineering company last Summer, but I didn't really do anything relevant to becoming a quant . For this upcoming Summer, I will be doing data science and statistical modeling for a semiconductor company.

Research Experience: Just started working on Monte Carlo molecular modeling for semiconductors in the last month or two.

Coding: Solid with Python

I am not completely sold on continuing with materials science for my potential grad school/career choice, and I am interested in pivoting to quantitative finance. What should I be doing to increase my chances of getting a quant role?

Hi there,

Brief Summary about me:

Current Undergrad (Junior): Materials Science and Engineering with a minor in math, 3.85 GPA, at your average big US state school

Internship Experience: I worked for a respected engineering company last Summer, but I didn't really do anything relevant to becoming a quant . For this upcoming Summer, I will be doing data science and statistical modeling for a semiconductor company.

Research Experience: Just started working on Monte Carlo molecular modeling for semiconductors in the last month or two.

Coding: Solid with Python

I am not completely sold on continuing with materials science for my potential grad school/career choice, and I am interested in pivoting to quantitative finance. What should I be doing to increase my chances of getting a quant role?
I came from Mechanical Engineering, with about 1.5 years of experience. Took kind of the same path. I would recommend looking into more math focused masters programs. Engineering paths lack the math rigor that quant roles require.

Back