• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career transition to quant

I'm looking to break into quant(trading preferred) but I'm not sure what the best path forward would be for me.

My background is that I graduated from Berkeley as CS/Econ double a year ago and have been working as a software engineer since , but I don't think software engineering is right for me and I've always been a fan of trading. I'm a US citizen if that matters. I had a decent(~3.9) GPA in school, but most my classes were focused on CS and econ so I didn't really have that many math/stats classes. I'm good with programming(C++ is work in progress lol) and my resume can show that but that's about it.

I'm wondering what I should do to try to break into quant. Some options I've weighed are
1. Get a MFE
2. Get a CS masters
3. Just and study a lot for quant programs

Also I did take the GRE already, got 170 quant(if that even helps nowadays) and ok english sections.

The cons I see for these are:
1. I've heard that MFE isn't exactly super highly regarded(even for some of the top schools like Baruch, Princeton, CMU) at quant firms. Also if I do this and don't get a quant internship, I'm pretty much screwed and it'll be like I wasted my time and money
2. I don't know which fields would be most relevant, I liked Algorithms and also Machine Learning as an undergrad but those are also the hardest to get into :(
3. Hard to list stuff on the resume, I don't know if I'd even get interview opportunities

What do you think makes the most sense? End goal is a trading role at a HFT firm, willing to take a detour in the meanwhile if it would help. I appreciate any tips/advice, thanks in advance

Last edited:
Back