certificate courses (CFA,MFE) vs CQF vs MFE

Guys,

I'm currently a phd in astrophysics (not really a famous school though) - and i hope to work as a quant after my phd. I just don't fit into academics. Anyway, I was not convinced to spend another year for MFE. I do not have work experience in the finance field. Is there any other exams that I can get to convince my future employer that I am interested in this field?

I have searched around and it seems CFA & FRM is quite highly discussed. On the other hand, CQF seems to be another useful course here.

However I'm open towards general comment on these courses - does a MFE course significantly boost my chance in this downturn economy?

Hm I know this question had been asked a tons of times, but perhaps a short response here would help - especially given my situation where I would avoid taking MFE...

CFA, FRM, CQF are not useful to break in finance if you have no relevant prior working experience. They are useful for working people to improve their on the job knowledge.
This is why many people do MFE even though many MFE programs do not have good career support.
So there is no sure solution for you. Anything will involve lot of time/money and risk. My suggestion would be to expand your job search outside of finance. There must be some industries that can use your PhD knowledge.

CFA, FRM, CQF are not useful to break in finance if you have no relevant prior working experience. They are useful for working people to improve their on the job knowledge.
This is why many people do MFE even though many MFE programs do not have good career support.
So there is no sure solution for you. Anything will involve lot of time/money and risk. My suggestion would be to expand your job search outside of finance. There must be some industries that can use your PhD knowledge.

Thanks for your response Andy. I'll try to dig further for job...

I also believe that MFE is not a good option, companies are picking people who made it from button up and cleared CFA/FRM vs those who has no exp with MFE. Although seniors might help you more, I believe that do things that you are best at. I left Nanotech and move in Quant Finance and think it might not have the best way to do it.

I also believe that MFE is not a good option, companies are picking people who made it from button up and cleared CFA/FRM vs those who has no exp with MFE. Although seniors might help you more, I believe that do things that you are best at. I left Nanotech and move in Quant Finance and think it might not have the best way to do it.

That's curious. Why did you left nanotech? so even with MFE we still have a losing edge? I would expect us being less attractive compared to some random person with experience in the company of course. But does it breaks the entry barrier?

Back