• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chance of GRE not being required for Fall 2022 program?

Hi

I just want to know if there is any chance of GRE not being required for Fall 2022 program because of COVID-19.
Also, it seemed most of the schools didn't require GRE last year, but did everyone still submitted their GRE scores? and if you guys did, may I ask why?
I was thinking that if most schools don't require GREs just like last year, maybe I could improve my other aspects before submitting my application such as my programming and mathematical skills.

Thanks.

I wouldn’t say most of the schools did not require it, at least not most of those considered “top programs”. To my knowledge, only UChicago MSFM, Columbia MFE/MAFN, and NYU Math in Finance (the only program I know of to formally request students NOT to send scores) did not require it. Despite not formally requiring it, Columbia MAFN still strongly recommends submitting for Fall 2021 entry. Moral of the story: not requiring the GRE was an exception, not the rule. I think this gives you an idea about what will be the case for Fall 2022. I know the effectiveness of standardized tests has recently been questioned — with various schools doing away with the SAT/ACT requirement for undergraduates. I’m not sure if the same trend will persist with grad programs and the GRE — definitely not unreasonable to think they will follow suit, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

I did not submit my scores for either Columbia MFE or UChicago MSFM. Obviously, my decision not to was a function of my below average GRE quant score. I think there are two reasons that would cause someone to submit in the case it’s not required: (i) they score well and feel it will only bolster their profile or (ii) they worry not sending their scores will be an indicator, in and of itself, of poor performance on the exam. Both Chicago MSFM and Columbia MFE stated not submitting would not affect your admissions decision, and given I felt the remainder of my profile was strong, I didn’t want my quant score to raise second doubts. Getting 168+ on practice tests is one thing, dealing with the nerves on test day is entirely another. If nerves are what is causing you to consider not taking the test, I recommend taking it as far away from application deadlines as possible. This will help you to look at it as just another test, which is how it ought to be viewed.

I wouldn’t say most of the schools did not require it, at least not most of those considered “top programs”. To my knowledge, only UChicago MSFM, Columbia MFE/MAFN, and NYU Math in Finance (the only program I know of to formally request students NOT to send scores) did not require it. Despite not formally requiring it, Columbia MAFN still strongly recommends submitting for Fall 2021 entry. Moral of the story: not requiring the GRE was an exception, not the rule. I think this gives you an idea about what will be the case for Fall 2022. I know the effectiveness of standardized tests has recently been questioned — with various schools doing away with the SAT/ACT requirement for undergraduates. I’m not sure if the same trend will persist with grad programs and the GRE — definitely not unreasonable to think they will follow suit, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

I did not submit my scores for either Columbia MFE or UChicago MSFM. Obviously, my decision not to was a function of my below average GRE quant score. I think there are two reasons that would cause someone to submit in the case it’s not required: (i) they score well and feel it will only bolster their profile or (ii) they worry not sending their scores will be an indicator, in and of itself, of poor performance on the exam. Both Chicago MSFM and Columbia MFE stated not submitting would not affect your admissions decision, and given I felt the remainder of my profile was strong, I didn’t want my quant score to raise second doubts. Getting 168+ on practice tests is one thing, dealing with the nerves on test day is entirely another. If nerves are what is causing you to consider not taking the test, I recommend taking it as far away from application deadlines as possible. This will help you to look at it as just another test, which is how it ought to be viewed.
Thanks. It really helped me!

Back