• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Citi S&T Interview

Hi. I have an interview next week with Citi for an equity trader position. I'm struggling to find an answer for "why do you want to become a trader" other than "Money". Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thank You.

Hi. I have an interview next week with Citi for an equity trader position. I'm struggling to find an answer for "why do you want to become a trader" other than "Money". Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thank You.

sure, that's an easy one. think long and hard about why *you* want to trade. someone else's reasons aren't yours and will ring hollow.

mfegrad - My answer is "for the money", but for obvious reasons, I cannot say that in an interview. I'm trying to find out what other answers people give for this Qn. I'm sure i'm not the 1st or last who wants to be a trader for the monetary benefits.

mfegrad - My answer is "for the money", but for obvious reasons, I cannot say that in an interview. I'm trying to find out what other answers people give for this Qn. I'm sure i'm not the 1st or last who wants to be a trader for the monetary benefits.
You had better reconsider your choice of career. First, you're interviewer will have seen many candidates. It's usually pretty easy to spot those who are only interested in the money. Second, trading isn't what it used to be. It will be very hard to make big bucks trading at a financial institution going forward due to the increased amount of regulatory and supervisory overhead. Third, most traders don't make it trading - certainly most don't do trading for a long time (think - how many older traders have you seen?). Thus, it's likely you'll ultimately end up in a support role or in sales. If you're not drawn towards the business because you think the business is interesting, you're likely to find yourself in a job you hate a few years down the road.

You had better reconsider your choice of career. First, you're interviewer will have seen many candidates. It's usually pretty easy to spot those who are only interested in the money. Second, trading isn't what it used to be. It will be very hard to make big bucks trading at a financial institution going forward due to the increased amount of regulatory and supervisory overhead. Third, most traders don't make it trading - certainly most don't do trading for a long time (think - how many older traders have you seen?). Thus, it's likely you'll ultimately end up in a support role or in sales. If you're not drawn towards the business because you think the business is interesting, you're likely to find yourself in a job you hate a few years down the road.
Excellent Suggestion, I haven't worked in the industry before but when I have seen many student who don't like their major or not interested in their major felt boring finally.

Thank you for raising some very interesting points. I agree that money should not be the objective for defining your career goals. That being said, I do have my interview next week, and would like to do my best to prepare. Would you have any suggestions on why people like to get into trading on the sell-side ?

You also mentioned that not many people stay in trading for very long. So those who start as traders on the sell side, what kind of positions do they take up after spending a few yrs as a sell-side trader ?

Ken Abbott - Sir, could you please share your opinion on my question -

You also mentioned that not many people stay in trading for very long. So those who start as traders on the sell side, what kind of positions do they take up after spending a few yrs as a sell-side trader ?

Thank you.

Ken Abbott - Sir, could you please share your opinion on my question -

Thank you.
Some go to the buy side, some move to support functions, some go into management. One guy I know opened a hair salon.

Back