• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF vs Columbia MSCS for quant trading

I studied Financial Engineering (major) and Computer Science (minor) at Columbia for my bachelor's. I currently have 5 years of experience in FX algo trading at a bank.

I aim to transition to the buy-side in quant trading, with a stronger focus on research. I believe a master's degree, particularly with a focus on machine learning, would open more opportunities in quant trading and research. Additionally, I want to experience life outside of New York and enjoy the campus environment for my mental well-being.

I have offers from the CMU MSCF and Columbia MSCS programs. While CMU offers a lower cost with a scholarship and the chance to leave New York, its curriculum seems to include many subjects that I find irrelevant/overlap with my undergraduate studies and lacks flexibility in machine learning.

If anyone is familiar with these programs, please share your thoughts:
  • Which school (or applying for a new job) would be a better choice for my career?
  • CMU MSCF requires a summer internship. Would it make sense for me to apply for an internship with significant prior work experience?

Thank you in advance!

I think there will be others who can comment better on the curriculum and internship parts of your ask, but one thing I always think is worth weighing is network. If you went to Columbia for undergrad you’ve already “unlocked” that community as a resource. I think there is some percentage of these program costs than you can say are going towards this network opportunity. If you go the Columbia route you’re paying that portion of cost for something you already have, whereas at CMU, this is a network you may not have access to otherwise. Just my two cents, I think this is a useful consideration regardless of what program or route someone is looking for entering into grad school

I think there will be others who can comment better on the curriculum and internship parts of your ask, but one thing I always think is worth weighing is network. If you went to Columbia for undergrad you’ve already “unlocked” that community as a resource. I think there is some percentage of these program costs than you can say are going towards this network opportunity. If you go the Columbia route you’re paying that portion of cost for something you already have, whereas at CMU, this is a network you may not have access to otherwise. Just my two cents, I think this is a useful consideration regardless of what program or route someone is looking for entering into grad school
Agree, network is def something I should consider as well. Thanks for the insight!

MSCS is better if you want to go into buyside. You already have 5 years of algotrading at bank.

MSCS is better if you want to go into buyside. You already have 5 years of algotrading at bank.
I also have a feeling the MSCF program is better tailored to S&T than to buy side quant research

Back