• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE CMU MSCF vs Stanford ICME (general) vs Cornell MFE

Hi, I have been admitted to Stanford and Cornell and am given an interview from CMU(from previous experience, likely to be admitted if invited for interview.)

I am just wondering which program should I go to? Taking CMU away as I have not been admitted, I personally would prefer Stanford for its brand name and chance to be admitted to be a PhD student. I listed some of the pros and cons for the two schools from my view.
S:
Pros: PhD opportunity, dream school, top brand name worldwide, wonderful climate and campus, easy to transfer to be a developer in SV
Cons: not mathematical finance track, relatively worse placement(as I heard even in the previous finmath program people were having trouble for placement of internship or a full-time job), probably a pro, curriculum is designed by oneself, not very structured(stanford has little restriction on course registration and all tracks in icme can choose the same courses)

Cornell:
Pros: Better networking opportunity, better career service, possibly better placement, more structured program for quant positions
Cons: seems Stanford has all the advantages in terms of school reputation

If I could be admitted to CMU then it will be more difficult to make a decision. Also I want to ask if it is true that in MSCF program 20% of the students get 80% of the offers and those "weaker" students still have trouble with placement or have to go for a risk position?

Please help me with your advice!

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Back